Refinishing Anschutz 1413 Suoer Match

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jim L

Refinishing Anschutz 1413 Suoer Match

Post by Jim L »

I recently bought an Anschutz 1413 Super Match. It has a number of scratches and a few small dents. I’m thinking about stripping the heavy varnish, fixing the scratches and dents, and then using an oil-rubbed finish. I prefer the look and feel of oil-rubbed finishes - but is there a good reason to go back to a heavy varnish finish for this gun? By the way, this gun shoots really well. Thanks.
Tim S

Re: Refinishing Anschutz 1413 Suoer Match

Post by Tim S »

Jim,

A nice oil finish does look very good. The downside to oil, is that it's not very weatherproof. If you're going to shoot on exposed ranges, oil won't be the most durable. Tru-Oil, which is a wiping varnish, would last better I think.
Last edited by Tim S on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim L

Post by Jim L »

Tim,
Many thanks for the note. I will be shooting from a weather protected position, and I really don't enjoy shooting in bad weather. So I think the oil rubbed finish will be fine. I just wanted to be sure that I was not violating some kind of collector's "protocol" about removing and replacing varnish from this kind of vintage gun.

On another subject, I have read several posts about the manufacture date systems on Anschutz rifles. My gun seems to violate the rules. Mine has "71" stamped on it while all the posts I have read say that Anschutz went to an alphabet based code in "about 1968". I find that interesting. Maybe somebody else has additional information on this subject.

Again, many thanks for your assistance.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jim,

I don't think Anschutz rifles are collectible in the same way the Winchester 52 is, or best London shotguns. Match 54 target rifles are shooters, and their value is in the accuracy. If a nice oil finish enhances your pleasure, who's to stop you?

As for the date code, Anschutz made a mistake. The change occurred in 1977-78 not 1968. The last number stamped rifles I've seen were 77, and the earliest letter stamped were HI. It's not an unreasonable mistake nearly forty years later. Anschutz themselves weren't responsible for the change, proofing is done at an official test centre. I presume it was a state or federal level change.
Jim L

Post by Jim L »

Tim,
Many thanks for the info. I have very much enjoyed the 1413 rifle. It is remarkably accurate. I bought it on-line here in the US several months ago. It arrived in a box that was in very bad condition. The rifle was dirty and completely disassembled in a jumble. I was concerned about my purchase. I reassembled the gun and only did very light cleaning of the exterior. I made no adjustments of the sights. First five shots were about .5 MOA at 50 yards. This is my first Anchutz, and I am certain that I will buy another sometime in the near future.