Kneeling roll filling material

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Kneeling roll filling material

Post by tsokasn »

I was wondering with what are you filling your kneeling rolls(beside cork)
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Plastic Beads!!!
Ole Mill Range.org

Plastic Beads

Post by Ole Mill Range.org »

Plastic beads used in Injection Mould processes
GCSInc

Plastic Beads

Post by GCSInc »

Plastic Beads
Attachments
Plastic Beads
Plastic Beads
TrapBeads.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

plus 1 on plastic beads
It weighs a little more but there is nothing even close.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Still a cork fan.

I wonder what a mixture of cork and plastic beads would be like?
robf

Post by robf »

something in between pure cork and pure beads i would say, depending on ratio...
talladega

Post by talladega »

where do you get the plastic beads?

i just got a new kneeling roll and filled it with little bean bag chair beads. little foam beads. they compress alot but unlike cork you can compress them better and fill it up more and after a few uses you'll be able to put more in. i have found with cork it doesnt really wear out and you cant compress it very much to be able to put alot in.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Problem with cork and 'foam beads' is that they compress, that is why people use the plastic beads. Plastic beads that my club uses were gotten from a paper mill or a plastic manufacturing plant. They are plastic sheets pre-manufacturing. Not to mention that if your kneeling roll ever gets wet cork and foam beads absorb water.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I use the plastic beads, but my junior program has started using the raw plastic pellets for injection molding. One of our parents has a connection to get some as we need them. Talk to people around. Most places don't mind a gallon of them being used elsewhere. Worst case, they're pretty cheap.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I want plastic beads!!!
But where am I going to find some here...?
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have been using the little polystyrene balls (styrofoam) from some pillows that my kids had. Much like what is in a bean bag chair but much finer. I was using injection moulding beads. The kneeling roll went from 5 pounds to 1/2 pound (I weighed it). The injection moulding beads work well but I was looking to get pounds out of my shooting bag. One common source for the injection moulding beads (the heavy stuff) is craft stores. Nowadays people use these for bean bag filling.

Post by Guest »

Bird seed. Available everywhere, cheap but pretty heavy. Rots if it gets wet, but again, it's cheap. (or should I say, "Cheep!")
B&S

Post by B&S »

I' with pdeal. My daughter was flying all over as a member of a college shooting team and getting to the JO,s it made making the 50lb weight a lot easier. She like it better than the cork.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

here is my update!
Since I could't find plastic beads used in Injection Mould processes(and thank you for the advice!)I came on an idea of using BB airsoft gun pellets(plastic,6mm)
But filling a kneeling roll with BB's came out to be rather expensive(around 50$)so that was not an option.
I finally used a Greek food(familiar to beans but in plastic beads size)
The cons is that itis heavy(3kg and might use about a half more...)
But it shapes pretty good!
(I hope someone could send me a bag of plastic beads like those in the photo...!!!)

Kneeling roll filler

Post by Guest »

Using rice - the cheapest grade, of course. A bit on the heavy side, though.
I had intended to try cork, and was collecting, but they changed the bottles to screw caps before I got anywhere enough. But it was fun collecting.

Post by Guest »

Any form of food/ seeds will break down over time and you really don't want to know what happens if it gets even a little bit wet.

Its a good temp fix till you find the beeds or if you want to cut down in weight for flying.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

I use seed of lawn placed in a plastic bag (wet) in the kneelng roll. it's difficult to fill up full but really stable in time.
Good WE everyone
MauserP08

Post by MauserP08 »

One place that you can look for plastic beads would be your local crafts store. Most times you can find them there. It was hit and miss for us for a while but we eventually got what we needed.

Now if you have a friend that works at a milk processing plant or similar then you would be able to get some from there if they make their own plastic jugs. The plant I used to work at would get truck loads of these beads to make the jugs. Unfortunately I was unable to get some from there myself.

This is a much better option that rice or any other food product. Mice are not interested in plastic beads.

Sid.
CA Bullseye

Re: Kneeling roll filling material

Post by CA Bullseye »

Came across this post in a search and wondering if anyone has found a supplier for the Plastic Beads and what the cost might be?

I'm coaching a Jr. rifle team in the Sacramento, CA area and we have just started our Jr. in 3P and need to fill our kneeling rolls. I did find a local supplier that is willing to sale retail.

Professional Plastics, Inc.
2940 Ramco Street # 100
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Toll Free: 800-338-2011
Local: 916-374-4580

I talked to Bill in sales. Advised him what we were going to us it for and that it would have be non-toxic. He gave a recommendation but said that their might be a min of 50 pounds. Because I don't do the purchasing for your club I told him I would have to forward his name for follow up. Was wondering if anyone has another resource?

In advance thanks for your reply.

Ron