Kneeling roll filling material

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redschietti

Re: Kneeling roll filling material

Post by redschietti »

Dont laugh.. You may be able to get plastic beads for injection molding in a gallon container from your veterinarian. We use them as cat litter when we need to collect a sample.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

Try grass seed. Works for our high school team. Mike Barron
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I have been using popcorn kernels for years. Yeah, it's a bit heavy (comparable to rice/birdseed), but it's super cheap, available anywhere, and makes for a great emergency snack!
havardma

Post by havardma »

I would stay away from any food/seed related fillings if you think of going abroad. It may get you problems through customs.
Gadican

Post by Gadican »

I bought mine at Walmart. They have it in the craft and sewing section. It took be about 3 bags at about $5 ea to do my bag. I also put some of the cork-rubber back in it. I didn't like how easily it shifted with just the plastic beads. There is just enough cork to firm it up, make it a bit more comfortable to sit on, and enough plastic to keep it from having the compression and settling issues of plain cork.

I have had rice in a bag once and threw it away after it got nasty moldy. Stay away from grain or take extra precautions to keep it excessively dry.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Would 6mm plastic air soft BBs work? I would like to use something light, non-compressible but that is not to small in pellet size such that it is hard to keep it in the kneeling bag.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I too also had BBs in mind but they were pretty expensive for the quantity I need to fill the roll...
By the way,I think that plain cork that I use is guilty for being compressed after some time of seating that gives me sideways move?

Must find a solution here...
rec4309

Post by rec4309 »

Check your area for a plastic recycler. The larger ones process their plastic scrap into pellets for resale.
Dean Peterson

Post by Dean Peterson »

http://www.jelinek.com/

They sell bulk crushed cork. I prefer the finer grade as opposed to the larger chunks - to each his/her own.

Best to place a nylon stocking into the kneeling roll first - then fill the stocking while it's in the roll and compact patiently until comfortably full. You might weigh the roll to keep track of size - add or subtract cork to adjust to fit best. Go back to the original weight if you liked the first size best. The weighing thing works pretty well for adjusting all of the various materials used to fill kneeling rolls.

Tie a knot in the stocking to keep cork from spilling out - don't remember where that trick came from but it works great to manage spillage for any of the aforementioned materials.

I've heard of complaints about cork breaking down - I've never seen it - and I've had my roll in fairly regular use for many years now.

As far as settling or increasing compression is concerned, I haven't experienced that either. Get into position and the roll pretty much stays the right thickness for 40 record shots. It's compliant enough to have a trough in it for side to side ankle support, no rocking. Plastic beads might be a little better for ankle support and certainly should not compress, at all!

My roll (outer shell) is made entirely of leather - some canvas rolls MAY tend to stretch a little under compression - I'm sure the leather stretches some too, but perhaps not so much as the canvas suggesting that the leather may be helping to control or limit compression during use. I just know that my roll offers plenty of comfort for my needs. Cordura nylon rolls (Creedmoor types) might be less stretchy - don't know.

Very lite weight makes for best choice if you travel/fly a lot.

All of the other materials are more or less equivalent, I think.

I've never managed to get my kneeling roll wet. Maybe just lucky - or careful.

Speaking of getting things wet - I'm thinking that cork has kept some really old wine in lots of bottles long enough to suggest that breaking down and compression over time just may not be all that much of a concern after all, just saying.... Mold, rot, and decay seem pretty unlikely too. Maybe I need to pour some wine on my roll from time to time...just to control the mold, rot and decay...maybe not.

Try to put any cork back into the same bottle - years of compression don't seem to make it that much easier.

Whew - I've talked myself into it - I'm keeping crushed cork in my kneeling roll!

Enjoy
Dean Peterson

Post by Dean Peterson »

I nearly forgot...

If you are a re-loader you very likely use crushed walnut shells or almond shells as brass polishing media.

This stuff works pretty well in kneeling rolls too - it's heavier than cork, less compressible, and does not seem to break down or rot.

I think I'd stay away from treated polishing media - unless you like really shiny ankles.

:-)
wmw3

Post by wmw3 »

I bought a bag of 100 synthetic wine corks from Amazon for reasonably cheap. I cut them into thirds with a set of pruning shears. They are light, hold their shape and will not deteriorate over time.
Wmw3
West Point Rifle
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Stay away from anything that is a food product.
Cork is too light. Doesn't hold shape.
Plus you want a product that will shape well to your leg. And keep the shape and not roll around.
Mine weighs about 5 - 6 lbs.
I use the stuff garages put on the ground to absorb oil. Very cheap in 25 lb bags
At auto supply stores.
Some people used kitty litter, very similar stuff.
After 30 years it still works well.
Plastic beads should work well, didn't have them 30 years ago.
My roll is a Gehmann, real leather bag, has held up very well.
I don't like plastic rolls, heavy denim cloth works well also, and is easy to make your own rolls.