Swiss Hammerli 506 Target Rifle 22 LR....

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

daotoys1

Swiss Hammerli 506 Target Rifle 22 LR....

Post by daotoys1 »

Im looking at a Swiss made Hammerli model 506 Target rifle in 22 LR....it was made in the 1960s....

This gun is mint/ like new condition. Does anyone know anything about this rifle???

Im thinking it would make a nice addition to my collection of Swiss made target guns. This would also be the oldest gun.

How well does this gun shoot??? Im thinking it could be used as both a collector piece and a gun to shoot occasionally just for fun.

Any feedback about this gun is welcomed; especially info about fit and finish and built quality of the gun....

Thanks for any comments

:)

Post by Guest »

I have a manual for a 506. Unlike the older 1950s(?) 503/504 and the OLympia I don't think the 506 was actually designed or made by Hammerli. I think it's actually a Walther KKM barrel/bolt/trigger and sights in a Hammerli stock. The photos I have show the barrel, action, and sights to be almost identical to the Walther KKM.

There was a deabte about Hammerli rifles on the Stirton.com forum a few months ago. The concensus was the the later Hammerli (the 506) was a very good rifle and equal to anything else made at the time, however it was very rare.

Tim S
UK
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

Anonymous wrote:I have a manual for a 506. Unlike the older 1950s(?) 503/504 and the OLympia I don't think the 506 was actually designed or made by Hammerli. I think it's actually a Walther KKM barrel/bolt/trigger and sights in a Hammerli stock. The photos I have show the barrel, action, and sights to be almost identical to the Walther KKM.

There was a deabte about Hammerli rifles on the Stirton.com forum a few months ago. The concensus was the the later Hammerli (the 506) was a very good rifle and equal to anything else made at the time, however it was very rare.

Tim S
UK
This is interesting. But this gun Im talking about is marked "Made in Switzerland" and "Hammerli" along with a Swiss cross.......these are marked into the to of the barrel and receiver. ?????

Ill look into what you say here. Im not very familiar with the Walther KKM, although I have seen them in the past, but I did not notice the similarities between the KKM and the 506 .

thanks

Post by Guest »

I've just checked the manual, the pictures of the 506 bolt, action, and rearsight appear to be identical to the Walther, only the stock is obviously different.

As for the barrel markings, there would seem to be three explanations; 1 Hammerli bought unstamped unfinished barreled actions and then marked and blued them; 2 Hammerli bough unmarked actions and fitted their own barrels; 3 Walther marked the barrel and action for Hammerli. It's possible that Swiss regulations required the rifles to be marked as such if the final fitting was done by Hammerli.

It does seem odd that Hammerli would totally rebrand an existing product.

Tim S
UK
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

Anonymous wrote:I've just checked the manual, the pictures of the 506 bolt, action, and rearsight appear to be identical to the Walther, only the stock is obviously different.

As for the barrel markings, there would seem to be three explanations; 1 Hammerli bought unstamped unfinished barreled actions and then marked and blued them; 2 Hammerli bough unmarked actions and fitted their own barrels; 3 Walther marked the barrel and action for Hammerli. It's possible that Swiss regulations required the rifles to be marked as such if the final fitting was done by Hammerli.

It does seem odd that Hammerli would totally rebrand an existing product.

Tim S

You seem very knowing of this gun and maybe guns like this from the 1960s.....My research tells me that Hammerli made the 506 from 1963 to 1967/68........

I know what the blue box values are, but what do ypu think a fair price would be for one that is NIB/mint condition?????

Thanks for all your input so far.... :)
UK
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

I bought a Hammerli 50mm rifle in 1971 so I'm familiar with the rifles that they marketed in that era. There were two .22s. The less expensive was one with a Walther action and Hammerli stock and buttplate/hook. I don't know whether the barrel was Walther or Hammerli. The more expensive model had a Tanner action with offset sights and a similar stock and buttplate/hook. Hammerli was still making rifle barrels at that time so the barrels on both models may have been made by Hammerli. There was probably a better chance that the barrel on the more expensive model was Hammerli. I bought the Hammerli/Tanner and I paid about $350 for it. I should add that this was about a year before the US let the dollar float. At the time $1 = 4.27 SF.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

mobarron wrote:I bought a Hammerli 50mm rifle in 1971 so I'm familiar with the rifles that they marketed in that era. There were two .22s. The less expensive was one with a Walther action and Hammerli stock and buttplate/hook. I don't know whether the barrel was Walther or Hammerli. The more expensive model had a Tanner action with offset sights and a similar stock and buttplate/hook. Hammerli was still making rifle barrels at that time so the barrels on both models may have been made by Hammerli. There was probably a better chance that the barrel on the more expensive model was Hammerli. I bought the Hammerli/Tanner and I paid about $350 for it. I should add that this was about a year before the US let the dollar float. At the time $1 = 4.27 SF.
By any chance do you still have this early Hammerli-Tanner rifle, or maybe some pictures of it to share with us here??

Thank you for your valuable reply....:)
Luk Kos

Re: Swiss Hammerli 506 Target Rifle 22 LR....

Post by Luk Kos »

Hello,
I'm the new one here, I purchased from my friend this great rifle , Hammerli 506, so I can sendsome pictures of it, and would appreciate if someone could share with manual :)
Lukasz