Target height for indoor prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

Target height for indoor prone

Post by Paul »

I would like to practice my 50 meters prone shooting...in my basement. If I want to practice dry fire and that I have a 10 meters range, what should be the target height at 10 meters in order to duplicate outdoors 50 meters height ? Thanks !
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It is "suggested" that the height for an indoor multi-bull target should be approximately 14" (35.56 cm) to the center of the bottom bulls for Prone position, 26" (66.04 cm) to the center of the bottom bulls for Sitting & Kneeling, and 55" (139.7 cm) to the center of the bottom bulls for Standing. This is NRA Smallbore Rifle Rule 6.8 Target Height. International rules say that the target holder should be adjustable for other positions, but does not suggest heghts (NRA International Rifle Rules 6.2.1 (b) & (d) Shooting Ranges, Specifics 10 Meters/33 feet & 50 ft.)

Basicaly, put it where you are comfortable!

Jim
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

ISSF General Technical Rule
( http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/2005 ... 5_1st.html ) number 6.3.9 specifies a 50 meter target (center of bull) height of 0.75m +/- 0.5m. For calculation purposes I will estimate that the average shooter in prone holds the rifle about 0.25m off the floor. This means that the nominal center of your target at 10 meters should be about 0.35m high (about 14 inches).
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Further to PaulB's post, perhaps you could vary the height from time to time to simulate shooting on ranges that would be within the ISSF tolerance.

Although not all ranges have perfectly 'level' firing points, at 10m about .25m target centre should simulate the minimum you will encounter and .45m the maximum.

Spencer C
Albert

target hight indoor prone

Post by Albert »

In the Netherlands we have a National indoor discipline of 12 meters (in the 3 positions).
Target height is (national rules) 0.4m for prone, 0.75m for kneeling and 1.4m for standing

Albert
(The Netherlands)
streetglide

Re: Target height for indoor prone

Post by streetglide »

Dear All,

I'm used to shoot at a flat shooting range.
But now I come regularly at a shooting range in which the target is mounted on 140 cm instead of 40 cm.

what changes should I expect to still shoot properly?

ps. im sorry my woodenclogs english.

kind regarts
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

streetglide wrote:But now I come regularly at a shooting range in which the target is mounted on 140 cm instead of 40 cm.
How far away is the target?

Raising the buttplate will pivot the muzzle upwards, but you might also need to move the handstop in to the trigger, and shorten the sling too. Obviously the cheekpiece will need adjustment too.
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

Tim S wrote:
streetglide wrote:But now I come regularly at a shooting range in which the target is mounted on 140 cm instead of 40 cm.
How far away is the target?

Raising the buttplate will pivot the muzzle upwards, but you might also need to move the handstop in to the trigger, and shorten the sling too. Obviously the cheekpiece will need adjustment too.

50 meter