Wall anchors for 22LR dry firing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Modena

Wall anchors for 22LR dry firing

Post by Modena »

Hi all, can anyone direct me to an online source for plastic wall plugs that are known-good to fit and eject in place of a live round?

I want these for dryfire practice, and I cannot find any locally which cycle correctly with the ejector. I have tried a couple of different ones which don't work at all, or don't work reliably.

I have some snap caps, but they are stupidly expensive for some reason, vs. what I anticipate will be a few dollars for hundreds of wall plugs.

Ben
joel

Re: Wall anchors for 22LR dry firing

Post by joel »

These are the ones I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5WVCS/re ... 9249020226

Like you said, they can be a bit tough to eject especially after a few hits. I have found that some guns do a better job at ejecting them than others.

Joel
Modena

Post by Modena »

Thanks I will check them out
joel

Post by joel »

You can also dry fire with spent rounds.

Joel
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

That's what I do, but they can be a pain to feed into the chamber.

marky-d
Modena

Post by Modena »

joel wrote:You can also dry fire with spent rounds.

Joel
yep well aware of that, but they're too hard/fiddly to get into the chamber, they expand when fired, and while surely possible to re-insert, it's to fiddly for my fingers.

I was going to try with 17HMR spent rounds, because they are a necked down 22WMR which is within a couple of thousands of 22LR if I recall, and hence would go straight in. I have a 17HMR, just not fired it in a long time :)

Ben
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Might be hard financially, but what about a spare firing pin with the tip ground off?

Alternately, is there some spot you can put a plastic washer around the FP, so it does not go all the way forward?
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Modena

Post by Modena »

Yep have thought about that too, pulling the bolt apart would be a pain, a second bolt with a shortened firing pin is probably a good, but expensive solution. Also really you want "something" to put in to replicate the process of loading.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Modena wrote: I was going to try with 17HMR spent rounds, because they are a necked down 22WMR which is within a couple of thousands of 22LR if I recall, and hence would go straight in. I have a 17HMR, just not fired it in a long time :)

Ben
Those will be even worse; the. 17HMR and. 22WMR are fatter than the. 22LR case. The. 22WMR bullet is fully seated in the case, unlike the LR where only a rebated heel is inside. The rim is also thicker thicker, so HMR and WMR bolts have larger headspace. Then there is the length.

Even if you could jam the fatter case in your tight match chamber, I'd be worried about damaging the chamber throat.

The British NSRA sells surprisingly good snap caps made of softer (durable) plastic. These will take several hits before the rim is chewed, and don't shatter. You could ask about postage.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-370326-R ... ll+anchors

Cheap & easy ... We have Anschutz, Walther, Ishmash & savage guns in our "stable" and non have trouble ejecting these
Rover

Post by Rover »

Unless your firing pin is peening the chamber mouth, don't worry about it.
Modena

Post by Modena »

Rover wrote:Unless your firing pin is peening the chamber mouth, don't worry about it.
I have no desire to find out what it might do to my $4500 setup. And I want to simulate loading anyway.