New site for Smallbore, Air-Rifle and Air Matches

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NC_rifle

New site for Smallbore, Air-Rifle and Air Matches

Post by NC_rifle »

Check it out:
https://shootingbuzz.com/events
New resource to find matches by listing and Map.

If you have matches you would like added, please email Match Program (and a pic/log if available) to ShootingBUZZ.com@gmail.com
GrapeJuice

Re: New site for Smallbore, Air-Rifle and Air Matches

Post by GrapeJuice »

Looks like it might have promise, but when I went to register, the website couldn't complete the process and the map never did load for me.
NC_rifle

Post by NC_rifle »

GrapeJuice wrote:Looks like it might have promise, but when I went to register, the website couldn't complete the process and the map never did load for me.
PM sent to help out.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

While I don't want to discourage the effort, I'm convinced you've embarked on an uphill battle if you don't look a the problem from another angle.

You face two problems:
- Getting competitive shooters to go to the site to look up matches.
- Getting match directors to enter the data.

I gave a long 3-part answer on a thread at Bullseye-L asking about why pistolmatches.com isn't more popular:
http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8166-why- ... ular#68461
http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8166-why- ... ular#68462
http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t8166-why- ... ular#68464

Edit to those posts:
The NSSF database, which long ago I accessed through wheretoshoot.org, is now map based at:
https://www.nssf.org/shooting/where-to-shoot/
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
NC_rifle

Post by NC_rifle »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. While we are concentrating on reaching out to more teams and organizations, I recognize that it will take time, but the effort will be worth it for our sport.

Here is a little more background info on the site...
Matches:
We will be pursuing receiving upcoming match info from the big three shooting organizations, which hopefully will answer part of the sourcing question. Regarding having the match directors enter a match, currently all they have to do will be email a word doc or PDF and we will do the actual posting. While finding matches is a key part of the site, it is not the only purpose.

Results:
Personally I feel that seeing a write up in a September digital shooting magazine for a match that was held seven months earlier in January is unacceptable. If a match director is already emailing out the results right after the matche, why not a) CC ShootingBUZZ, or b)Better yet Upload on the site. How many of you have not been able to make it to a match only to find that it takes forever to find the results online.

Groups
For those coaches who are interested, we can set them up with a group that is open or private for their team discussion.

Audience:
With the current wave of younger shooters on social media every day, why not have a place where they can learn and discuss that is not out in the wide open Facebook world. The idea is that the members are the ones that drive the social content including comments, pictures etc about a match. That is why the site also has instant chat between members, in addition to Standard messages.

We are just getting started and realize that we have not reached critical mass with members and matches yet. Our expectation is that over time SB will adapt to the needs of the shooters for what we provide. With every free membership we are one step closer :)
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

NC_rifle wrote:We will be pursuing receiving upcoming match info from the big three shooting organizations, which hopefully will answer part of the sourcing question.
Good luck with that. And try your best to include all the information available on Wheretoshoot. And to retain anyone who signs up to your site, I would definitely suggest that signing up for email notifications is a must. Not many will keep checking back until there's something relevant to them listed.

Just getting the information from the big organisations out in a friendlier more intuitive manner would attract users IMO.

Starting national and working towards local might work for you where it hasn't for others. To anyone reading, and who may have read my posts over on Bullseye-L, IMO a niche for whoever wants to make a big impact in the sport to make everyone's digital presence better would be to start improving the digital presence of your local club.

Whatever website architecture you develop, sell, give, support, host, for other clubs and ranges.

A common architecture, would help clubs communicate with their members and share with the outside world and other clubs. In my experience, the advantage to the individual club needs to be the focus. Seems to me, clubs and ranges are in competition in such a way as they are often fighting to keep or grow membership in a shrinking marketplace. The betterment and growth of the sport needs to have the marketplace grow. But it can be difficult to get individual organisations and businesses on-board no matter how well the adage "a rising tide raises all boats" might apply.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
NC_rifle

Post by NC_rifle »

NC_rifle wrote:
GrapeJuice wrote:Looks like it might have promise, but when I went to register, the website couldn't complete the process and the map never did load for me.
PM sent to help out.
Glad to hear that you were able to register!