Training pellets

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Jay V

Training pellets

Post by Jay V »

For those of you that have been using the Daisy #557 Training Pellets from the CMP ($32/6000 delivered to CMP clubs) and haven't ordered lately - hold off.

Daisy recently changed their familiar 557 pellet with the fluted skirt to a pellet that looks more like a "match" pellet, but is very poor in quality. The new pellets have the same packaging, but say "made in China" on the end by the SKU #. They are a dark gray, and have a lot of lube on them that come off on your fingers. The old pellet weighed a consistent 7.6 grains, but I got 7.3 to 7.8 -in about 6 pellets- for the new ones.

The CMP was surprsed the hear about the change and the problems with quality, but are looking into it. Daisy "Quality Control" didn't return my call.

We started using Crosman 6177 Match Pellets, and have had good luck with them. They sell for almost exactly the same price, and come in tins of 250 (decent tins with screw-on lids). Crosman will sell to junior clubs for $15.60/3000 (case) delivered.

Contact Crosman at (800) 724-7486, and ask for Beth at ext 3101. Have a credit card ready. They have been showing up in about 3 or 4 days.

Jay V
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jay: we have been using the RWS Geco pellets from Champion Shooters. They are $26/5000 I think. Anyway, they are pretty nice for the price. I think much nicer looking pellets than even the old daisy's. I vice tested them last year and they shot on par with the daisy's (old).
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

pdeal wrote:Jay: we have been using the RWS Geco pellets from Champion Shooters. They are $26/5000 I think. Anyway, they are pretty nice for the price. I think much nicer looking pellets than even the old daisy's. I vice tested them last year and they shot on par with the daisy's (old).

Thanks Pete, I have to get some to try.

The old Daisy pellets shot a decent 1-hole (not quite 1-pellet size though) 10-shot group from our 888s. I'll have to give the Crosmans and the RWSs a try to see how they compare.

I haven't done any formal testing of the new Daisy pellets, but our better shooters had trouble (wide flyers) with them immediately. One of our students was certain his gun had a major problem.

Jay
durant7

New test results

Post by durant7 »

Based on some advice from you guys I changed my methodology. The Daisy Chinese mfg pellets are junk no doubt and these results will prove it. Sad that I had to waste my clubs limited funds!

I also shot the 888 against my 2002SSP. Very impressive of how the 888 can hold with the 2002 or my 2002 is not as accurate as it should be. Maybe if I viced them the group would get smaller. But for the purpose this will have to work. The only variables were the gun or the pellet used. Jay, I even found some of the Crosman Match pellets which I think they call Premiers.

See target #3

http://mysite.verizon.net/durants/Pellet888.htm
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jud: i have tried the crossman premier pellets and they shoot very well. They have a round nose though and don't make very nice holes in the paper which makes scoring more difficult. The crossmans are my first choice though for bubblebee safaris (shooting bugs in the yard).
durant7

Post by durant7 »

I concur with the domed head issue. CPLs and CPHs (Crosman Premier Lights 7.9) and (Crosman Premier Heavy 8.?) are the classic field target or Airgun MS pellet sold in boxed of 1250 for about $16. Die number 6 and die number 5 etc etc.

Then one day at Acadamy they had these nice steel screw top tins of Crosman Premier Match grade pellets. Open them up and they have thick foam top and bottom and only 250 tin. They have not carried them for over a year. But they were in both domed and wadcutter format both light and heavy. Yes, this is a true story.

Then Jay and I were talking and I told him the Crosman Copperhead Wadcutters found at Walmart were identical to CPL wadcutters. No doubt they all come out of the same mold right here in the USA! I think maybe the alloy is different as the Copperheads are darker.

Jay (I assume) struck out to see if he could buy them directly from Crossman and seems to have found these "tinned" CPLs that I used to buy a year ago. All very normal activity in manufacturers trying to leverage their marketing and channel to market.

So...to make a long story short I still see little difference between the nicely packed CPLs and the Copperhead pellets after my 10 shot test. Have a look for yourself.

Hoot of the day? Went to pick up a long awaited "Club in a box" Daisy sent our state shooting association (TSRA) and just guess what kind of pellets they put in there? Another 3,000 Chinese Daisy pellets!! UGH!!