CMP experience

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

durant7

CMP experience

Post by durant7 »

This is meant as information only.

Our club ordered 18,000 BBs which is the smallest qty you can order. It comes out to $.67/500 or $3.19/ 1500 milk carton. Crossman Copperhead brand as found at Walmart.

We also ordered the 6,000 lot of practice pellets. They are Daisy pellets mfg in China part #557. At first I was not happy. They don't shoot that well in the first 888. But at $2.67/500 I guess they are just as advertized, PRACTICE! They are black which comes off on your fingers fast. Any suggested alternatives? They are cheap.

Targets, I decided to try their BMC target which get kids "on paper" fast. They are Speedwell printed targets which I have heard is a good source for targets.

Just wanted to advise what CMP is shipping these days. I hear they have switched their match pellets over to Vogel Merlin Match from H&N at $5/500
Jay V

Re: CMP experience

Post by Jay V »

durant7 wrote:This is meant as information only.

(snip)
We also ordered the 6,000 lot of practice pellets. They are Daisy pellets mfg in China part #557. At first I was not happy. They don't shoot that well in the first 888. But at $2.67/500 I guess they are just as advertized, PRACTICE! They are black which comes off on your fingers fast. Any suggested alternatives? They are cheap.

Targets, I decided to try their BMC target which get kids "on paper" fast. They are Speedwell printed targets which I have heard is a good source for targets.

Just wanted to advise what CMP is shipping these days. I hear they have switched their match pellets over to Vogel Merlin Match from H&N at $5/500
The CMP recently changed to the new Daisy "practice" pellets. The older ones were shorter, lighter, cleaner, and had a serrated skirt. I have not done any formal testing, but our better students have told me they don't think the new ones are as good. They have a noticable amount of lead slag inside and attached to the back edge of the skirt. Same name, same box, same everything. Our 888s shot a decent single-hole (but bigger than a pellet) group with the old ones.

We do like the Vogel Merlin Match pellets. They have out-performed the H&Ns in most (but not all) of the guns we tested.

Be advised that the NRA will not accept Speedwell targets for tournaments/records after the first of the year - so don't stock up too much if you see a good deal.

Jay V
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

We shoot Walmart specials in Basic Rifle class, but everyone brings their own for the team practices. Most of the team buys Vogels from Pilk, a sleeve at a time. At $0.01 per shot, it's not worth the hassle of buying el cheapo stuff.

Mike
Wichita KS
Haireacane

Practice Ammo

Post by Haireacane »

As a 4-H B.B. Rifle, Air Pistol and Air Rifle team coach, we've tried almost every type of bb and pellet available. For practice, we use the Daisy Precision Ground Shot. They are much improved from only a couple of years ago but in matches we shoot ball bearings. At the International match that Daisy hosts, you are required to shoot their Ground Shot which they provide. While we had excellent results, the ball bearings are so much more consistant. Yes, price is a problem with the ball bearings. We reuse them for practice and shoot new ones in our local and state matches.

As far as pellets, we've been very happy with the orange vogel's. I want the kids to have the very best ammo we can afford. It's a constant battle to raise enough money, but our community has been very supportive. This year we have 36 kids in our program and we'll shoot more than 30,000 B.B.'s in practice. We've tried the Crossman B.B.'s and found them to be undersized and the Daisy's to be oversized. Before we switched, we had excellent results with the Gamo B.B's which are black in color. They cost about $3 for $250 but are almost as consistant at the ball bearings.

Good Luck,
David
durant7

Update on low cost beginer pellets

Post by durant7 »

Haireacane: Thanks for the info on BBs. I will have to say 2% of the copper coated Crossman BBs I got from CMP have are dark from rust. Ok, some form of oxide that is dark brown. I guess I have to pick through them and toss them out. We also have some Daisy BBs but expect these are not the same as 'Daisy Precision Ground shot'. From what I can tell the Gamo is the best. I had not thought of the bearing solution.

As for pellets...I agree with the posts. At a penny a shot who cares!! But in our infancy kids and their parents don't appreciate things yet as we're just working on keeping things inside the 6 ring. Once things catch on I can see having a case of pellets available for purchase at $4.75/500. It will seem a bargain at the time. But until we get there I'm in search of low cost accurate pellets.

So....I did a little evaluation over the weekend. Got some JSB SCHaK practice pellets for $35/5000. Put them up against some others with a high power scope to minimize the human factor. Also got a better definition of the problem with the CMP Daisy pellets.

Lastly, I know all of this is overkill but for me it is educational being new to 10m air. It also gave me a baseline for 888 accuracy. I appreciate everyone's input!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/durants/Pellet888.htm

d7