Daisy XS40 Questions

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Waltonshooter

Daisy XS40 Questions

Post by Waltonshooter »

Hello,
I've just finished with the BB gun program and i'm moving up to Sporter Air rifle. I've got a couple of questions, i'm thinking about purchasing a Daisy XS40 Valiant. Pro's and Cons?
I've done some research, and it looks like I might be able to get a deal on one of the early models with the laminated stock. Is there any drawbacks with those models compared to the new ones?

Got to handle one of the new ones at the daisy Natl' match in Kentucky this year. I was very impressed to say the least.

As as side note, I have some pictures from the nationals uploaded to the 'net.. http://photobucket.com/albums/v425/NatlMatch/ Enjoy!

Ryan
Jay V

Re: Daisy XS40 Questions

Post by Jay V »

Waltonshooter wrote:Hello,
I've just finished with the BB gun program and i'm moving up to Sporter Air rifle. I've got a couple of questions, i'm thinking about purchasing a Daisy XS40 Valiant. Pro's and Cons?
I've done some research, and it looks like I might be able to get a deal on one of the early models with the laminated stock. Is there any drawbacks with those models compared to the new ones?

Got to handle one of the new ones at the daisy Natl' match in Kentucky this year. I was very impressed to say the least.

As as side note, I have some pictures from the nationals uploaded to the 'net.. http://photobucket.com/albums/v425/NatlMatch/ Enjoy!

Ryan

Your only real choices are Daisy 888s or Valiants. The 888 is about half the price of the Valiant, and more accurate with a Lothar Walther barrel, but uses CO2. Not that CO2 is a big problem, but air is easier to keep track of for a large club. The 888 stock design is not as good as the Valiant (not that the Valiant is great) and doesn't have a pistol-grip or adjustable buttplate and cheekpiece.

The Valiant never came with a laminated stock as far as I know. The early versions are larger than the later versions and use riser-blocks on the sights because of a high cheekpiece. Later versions can be spotted by the cut-out in the forend where you can see the air cylinder. Some of the first newer models need to be sent to Pilkington or Daisy to get the trigger up to weight (min 1.5 pounds). The factory did correct the problem.

Reliability of the 888 is better than the Valiant, but in general both are fine. The Valiant's plastic trigger will break if you move it, the cocking pin on the bolt may break, and the plastic front sight is easily broken off if not handled carefully. 888s are pretty rock solid.

Our club has a dozen Valiants and a half-dozen 888s. Most of our shooters prefer the Valiant, though our top shooter at the Junior Olympic 3P Championship shot an 888 - as did the entire winning team. Of the 8 finalists, 6 of them shot 888s.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jay Vergenz
AIAC Juniors
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
cdwing

More XS40 Questions

Post by cdwing »

Where can additional front sight inserts be purchased?

Cliff
Jay V

Re: More XS40 Questions

Post by Jay V »

cdwing wrote:Where can additional front sight inserts be purchased?

Cliff
The Valiant uses Anschutz-size front sight aperatures - with a slight modification. It's really close, but they don't just drop in. If I remember right, you need to take some material off of the outside ring of the aperature at the top or open-up the top of the sight slightly.

We get them from Champion's Choice for about $2.50 ea.

Jay V
IL
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Personal opinion, buy the 888, or save up and go Precision. The Valiant is nearly a precision gun, both in style and cost. In my opinion, if you're going to spend the extra cash, go all out and buy precision.

CO2 isn't that difficult to deal with.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Wichita KS

Daisy XS 40 QUESTIONS

Post by Guest »

Air Arms UK have a multi purpose rifle in the pipeline ------ can
be expanded from sporter class to precision to ft and benchrest
gun with very little extra cost------idea is to buy one rifle and it
grows with the shooter ---- does not have to purchase new rifle
as class demands------rifle could also be used for 25 yd outdoor
events { still EXP CLASS I believe}. Start up version will cost about
same as XS 40 I am told. Our prototype has competed in 2x standing
events at national level and produced 2nd and 4th position. P 700s and
2002CAs were in abundance. The CMP and NRA have been offered this
rifle for evaluation.Bill Sanders can be contacted at --general@air-arms.
co.uk
Regards,
Mike RSA