co2

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

co2

Post by 3334 »

Hi!
Please comment on managing the co2 cylinder re-fills on the Daisy 888 rifle. My Junior Team is having some problems and getting very few shots per fill. Also, varying temperatures result in dramatic loss of shots per fill and occassional blown over-pressure disks.

Thanks
JC

Post by guest »

Post by Guest »

You may want to repost in the Junior Program forum. There's probably a lot of experience with those rifles in the various junior programs.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Please provide us with some details to help diagnose your problem.

What type of CO2 tank are you filling from? Does it have a siphon tube?

Are you chilling your cylinder prior to filling?

We get about 150 shots per fill.

Jim
TWP

Post by TWP »

I work mostly with the precision kids, but the sporter guys gill their cylinders in the freezer and we have a digital scale to weigh the cylinders and ensure they only have the proper amount of CO2 in them.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Others have already said it. First, you need to a full source tank, preferably a 40# with siphon tube. Going from small volume bottles to the cylinder will prove unsuccessful based on input from my CO2 supplier.

Second, you must have the empty weight of each cylinder and put it on the cylinder. Fill as instructed (2.5 oz) or convert to grams in whatever your scale does. Guessing does not work here!!

Third, as you can read in the link you want to have the receiving tank cold. pdeal advised 15 minutes in the freezer and I find that works. If you are filling them in a hot room then that will hurt your ability to get it filled.

If you are blowing seals then your source tank has the enough gas supply and you simply are not weighing the cylinders and exceeding the relief valve which is designed to blow before the cylinder blows.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Co2.html I found this link very educational if you don't happen to be a chemist or engineer!

Good luck.
durant7

Filling 2.5 oz cylinders for 888, what's the best technique?

Post by durant7 »

Well, I weighed 4 empty cylinders. 14.0 oz for two of older mfg and 14.2 oz for two of newer mfg.

Took them home, popped them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Put them on my home food scale which is not an optimal set up but it does have hash marks for oz. Filled each from my 40# siphon tank using my used adapter. Put in about 2.5 oz and then I'm challenged.

My adaptor looks like a very nice unit. On the tank end there is a black block with a bleeder valve. There may be more going on here but it looks like a simple setup. SS hose to an adaptor. The adaptor has a knurled knob on the end which you turn in to open the pin valve in the cylinder, out to retract the pin and hence close the valve on the cylinder. All basic stuff....I think.

So you have three "valves" to turn. Tank, bleeder on tank side and knob on cylinder side. My process is to never touch the tank side bleeder valve. With the tank shut off and tank side bleeder valve closed I screw cylinder into addaptor. Tighten knob to open pin valve on cylinder. Open tank valve to put in 2.5 oz. Close tank. Loosen the knob on adaptor to retract the device which opened the cylinder pin valve. While doing this I have what I feel is significant loss of CO2 as I back off the knob.

CO2 is escaping from both the SS line and the cylinder as the pin valve closes. When I weighed the cylinders at work with a precise scale I got 1 oz in one and 2 oz in the other. If I didn't have this forum my plan would be to fill the cylinder to 3 oz and then hope that by the time I got the cylinder disconected I would be down to 2.5.

I find two of my cylinders (used) have blown pressure relief disks. How do I go about getting these repaired economically? I would assume a paintball store but that is just a SWAG.

Thanks for any advice from you vetrans. I loan guns out so getting a nice full fill is important to keep them shooting!

D7