Dallas TX area junior programs

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Bill Poole

Dallas TX area junior programs

Post by Bill Poole »

Texas shooters!

I have a 13-yr old nephew in Plano who has expressed an interest in learning about competitive shooting "like uncle Bill".

Can anyone give me info and contact names on local programs in the North Dallas area.

He has had no exposure to any shooting that i am aware of. So it would be nice to expose him to a variety of things from typical NRA smallbore to pistol to olympic style and everything else

I appreciate an info you can give me.

Thanks,

Poole
bill@poole.com
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Bill: I was in your shoes about 15 months ago after my 11 year old daughter had so much fun shooting silhouette with Dad. I hunted and hunted for a youth shooting program. Then one day I had the opportunity to talk with Lanny Basham at the Dallas White Rock marathon. We talked about a number of things. I then lamented there was little to no youth programs in the Metroplex area. He concured. I had told him the Collin County 4-H program I visited was a bit "unstructured" if it was to teach precision shooting. He said go back, get involved and help it become what it needs to be....

Well, I took him at his word. I got engaged, started networking, help write grant requests, did some research and we have come a long way. We now have 6 888s for 10m and 6 499 BB guns to use to start teaching precision shooting. Where once the hurdle was equipment, now we have more hurdles. A place to practice preferably indoors and more parental involvement! We've got equipment and even some money in the bank. Now we need a place to practice and some of the leadership burden shared by other engaged adults. Please consider helping our efforts. I think if we can get things going we can have a good program!

There are other parents out there but they either focus 100% of their kid or don't have the confidence to get involved. Help is needed in all areas and I've got some neat buddies who would be happy to drive to Plano and coach when we get a bit more organized.

Look forward to talking with you.

d7
Roy McClain

Welcome to Georgia

Post by Roy McClain »

Ya'll come join us over here in Georgia. We welcome you with open arms. I'm currently using a small 28,000 sq ft warehouse and we have plenty of space for 125 Air Rifle / Pistol firing points and 20 BB points. We have plenty of equipment for BB, Air Pistol, Sporter Air Rifle, Precision Air Rifle and just received 20 of the CMP Rem 40x Smallbore Rifles. Now we just need a few more kids to join us... If your thinking about relocating, think South Atlanta...

We may have lost Wolf Creek, but we haven't lost interest in Junior Shooting Programs.

Roy McClain
Spalding County Shooting Sports
Paedagogus

Re: Dallas TX area junior programs

Post by Paedagogus »

Bill Poole wrote:Can anyone give me info and contact names on local programs in the North Dallas area.
Check out the Dallas Pistol Club on Beltline. Ed Wong is the coach for the air gun range, and can probably point you in the right direction for some of the other disciplines. Ed use to work at the Olympic Training Center as a pistol coach.

Also contact the Texas State Rifle Association -- the finest state association in America. They are nearly rabid about getting more juniors involved, and can certainly point you in the right direction. You might want to also send a message directly to Pat Muckelroy (TSRA Junior Committee).

You didn't mention rifle or pistol. I assume anything with a trigger will be of interest. There is a state bullseye pistol championship coming up at the Dallas Pistol Club on June 5-6. Texas bullseye pistol shooters are VERY, VERY supportive and welcoming to juniors. Contact Don Lowry (TSRA Pistol Director) for information about pistol in general.

TSRA keeps the official schedule for all NRA competition events on their web site. You might also try the schedule on our club web site (http://www.shootingsportsetc.com) since it lists many of the Texas events not listed on the TSRA/NRA schedule. Call one of the contact numbers listed on those sites or just show up at an event, and ask questions. If you get there early enough, he'll probably get to shoot -- often times for free. Of course, please feel free to use the contact number on our club site to contact me directly.

At the risk of sounding like I'm coming down on 4-H, BSA, Jaycees, Royal Rangers, etc. -- they have good programs, but they are youth organizations that shoot, not shooting organizations for youth. I know of a few exceptions, but from my experience, their "projects" don't meet often enough for anyone serious about wanting to shoot competitively.

Unfortunately, we are in San Antonio, but have traveled this same road before you. Don't get discouraged. Bird dog this thing. Follow up on it, and get him involved. It's too bad you live in another state. He could use a coach like you!
akihmsa

excellent advice d7!

Post by akihmsa »

You hit the nail on the head squarely! If it isn't being done to high enough standards then get involved and fix it. All programs start out somewhere by someone with the drive to see it done. Can do gets things done! Too many are waiting for someone else to do "it" whatever "it" is.
durant7 wrote:Bill: I was in your shoes about 15 months ago after my 11 year old daughter had so much fun shooting silhouette with Dad. I hunted and hunted for a youth shooting program. Then one day I had the opportunity to talk with Lanny Basham at the Dallas White Rock marathon. We talked about a number of things. I then lamented there was little to no youth programs in the Metroplex area. He concured. I had told him the Collin County 4-H program I visited was a bit "unstructured" if it was to teach precision shooting. He said go back, get involved and help it become what it needs to be....

Well, I took him at his word. I got engaged, started networking, help write grant requests, did some research and we have come a long way. We now have 6 888s for 10m and 6 499 BB guns to use to start teaching precision shooting. Where once the hurdle was equipment, now we have more hurdles. A place to practice preferably indoors and more parental involvement! We've got equipment and even some money in the bank. Now we need a place to practice and some of the leadership burden shared by other engaged adults. Please consider helping our efforts. I think if we can get things going we can have a good program!

There are other parents out there but they either focus 100% of their kid or don't have the confidence to get involved. Help is needed in all areas and I've got some neat buddies who would be happy to drive to Plano and coach when we get a bit more organized.

Look forward to talking with you.

d7
mcole95

Post by mcole95 »

Here's more info on the Dallas Pistol Club and the Airgun program there.

DPC website - http://www.dallaspistolclub.com

There's also an airgun league, almost year-round, at the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club. Don Strickland can probably provide more information. You can get Don's contact information from the TSRA (mentioned earlier).

If it's bullseye you want there's a match every month at the Dallas Pistol Club. Just check the match schedule on their website under "Competition". Buddy Chapman is the match director and you can get his contact information from the TSRA as well.

Also, The Bullet Trap in Plano provides basic firearms instruction. http://www.bullettrapinc.com

--Matt