3-P air and sport development

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Jason

Post by Jason »

Does anyone know if the 3-P air program has made a material difference in the number of new shooters since it was introduced several years ago?

How widely has 3-P air been accepted across the country? How has it fared in more urban states, such as the north-east? Is participation largely relegated to juniors?

What about the Junior Olympics? How long have they been around? How do they complement other national matches, such as Camp Perry?

I'm just wondering if it's a model that we could be using to better effect here in Canada. Thanks!

Jason
Don

3-P Air Rifle

Post by Don »

Jason: There are a lot of 3-p air rifle shooters in the Northwest, and it is growing all the time. I think it is a great way to get kids going, then to help them transition into sb, hp, etc later on if they want. One great thing about air rifles is that they can be done most anywhere, the noise is less and there is little mess compared to powder on the range, etc. Work on getting something going up north and see if it helps.
Casper

3P air and sport development

Post by Casper »

I am from South Africa and can give you my views and experience on the 3P air program. We started with the program about four years ago, but with small numbers. Last year we had no choice but to change over completely to the 3P program. We were shooting mainly .22 prone. Today I am not sorry that we made the change. We now have over 700 registered shooters, but well over a 1000 that is actively participating in the sport.

The majority is trained in the Sporter class and will then move on to precision. Also implemented was a springer class based on the same model with some changes in equipment. Across the board the model improved our shooters skills tremendously.

The rifle we use is the Air Arms 200T also known as the Daisy XSV40. We made some small modifications as to make the rifle more suited for especially the standing position. With the accuracy of this rifle we have our sporter shooters compete against and outshoot precision shooters.

We are looking into getting together with the other countries involved in this development program as to further the sport. Also with the idea as to establish more international competition.

As to your last question I can only say that you will never be sorry in following this model as to improve the sport in your country.

Post by Guest »

Very curious, as you are from South Africa - do you have people of all races together in the shooting clubs or teams? How about amount of girls participating versus number of boys? It is good to learn more about this world we live in, and the commonality we can find.
Casper

Post by Casper »

As we are a multi rational democracy since 1994 we are open to all races. At present the ratio between boys and girls is about 70/30.

Were are you from as we are also interested in other countries participating in the sport.
TWP

Re: 3-P air and sport development

Post by TWP »

Casper wrote: At present the ratio between boys and girls is about 70/30
Wow! Ours is about 80% Girls and 20% Boys. (of course when one of the coaches has 5 daughters that does tend to sway the numbers a bit)
JPM

Post by JPM »

Howdy,

We are running about 2/3 boys and 1/3 girls . . . it if fun to watch a 16 yr old boy deal with losing to a 14 year old girl :-)

On another note - we only need one more permit to break ground on the new building which will house my Air Rifle range!!

JPM in Michigan
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

JPM wrote:Howdy,

We are running about 2/3 boys and 1/3 girls . . . it if fun to watch a 16 yr old boy deal with losing to a 14 year old girl :-)

On another note - we only need one more permit to break ground on the new building which will house my Air Rifle range!!

JPM in Michigan
Great news! Post some pictures of your new facility when it is completed.

This season we had about 30 students - equal amounts of boys/girls. I would say that our top shooters are the girls. They tend to be able to duplicate their correct positions better and keep their focus longer. The girls have added a point or 2 to their scores at each competition - the boys seem to be stuck at a certain level right now. A couple of our boys were at the top last season, but the girls have past them by.

Our Junior Olympic 3P sporter team is 2 girls and 2 boys. Right now I have a lot more confidence in the girls performing well. The boys have been inconsistent and haven't performed as well recently - luckily we still have some time before the competition.

Jay V
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
Jason

Canada - National Cadet Marksmanship Championships on now!

Post by Jason »

Today is the last day of competition at the 2004 National Cadet Marksmanship Championships in St. John's, Newfoundland.

There are 125 competitors participating in the match, which brings together the top cadet marksman from across Canada. Course of fire is 120 shots prone at 10 m with the Daisy 853C. I haven't compared the cadet-issue targets to ISSF targets, but I believe they're the same.

And no surprise, the cadet leading the competition right now is female, although number two is male. They're shooting some pretty decent scores, considering the rifles they're using.

Check out the match site at http://www.cadets.net/marksmanship-tir/intro_e.asp, it's got lots of pictures and information about the cadet marksmanship program. Word is cadets might be going 3-P in the next 2-3 years, but that's still just a rumour.

This is a great example of an excellent shooting program. Maybe next year my cadets will stand a chance!

Jason Jarvis
Unit Marksmanship Officer
48th Highlanders Army Cadets
Toronto, Ontario
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Jason, nice link, nice program!! Goes to show there is hope in getting youth programs working.

Your post made me wonder if there is a JrROTC type web site. I know there are some programs at schools run by the JrROTC. It would be nice to be able to contact them and see if there is a way to get some support for the programs where 8-13 year olds get going as a natural feeder into programs such as the JrROTC. Some searching on Google last night yeilded nothing for me. Maybe someone here knows more?

Thanks!!
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Well, guess my smarts were not working last night. Did another search under JROTC and not JrROTC and found the spot.

https://gateway.usarmyjrotc.com/http:// ... m/jrotc/dt

Look in top right and find your state, school and proceed. I now have the contact I was looking for and will advise if I learn anything of interest for the Plano/Collin County area of Texas.

Thanks....sorry for being slow of mind!
A JAYNES

3P AIR

Post by A JAYNES »

We started a high school team 3 years ago . We do not have a large team but have about 22 shooters and like most of you 2/3 boys and a 1/3 girls ,on the top team we i've 2 boys and 2 girls , the first year we were the only high school team and how there are 3 new teams and talk of 2 more teams coming on board ,we held the nra sec. In the school gym, that work out great and had 90 shooters for the week end ,our school has been great ,this program will continue to grow ,kid's how want to come to sutter high for the shooting program not the championship football program
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

This REALLY cracks me up. Wichita has five or six ROTC programs. NONE have Rifle because in it's infinite wisdom made ANY gun, replica or not illegal to have within 100 yards of a school. They can't even do color guard competitions on school property. No shooting, no marching with de-milled Springfields, no marching with swords, no medals with crossed rifles on them.....

Two of our guys have been wearing their 4-H Shooting Sports T-shirts to school, but in Derby KS, haven't been kicked out (YET).

Mike
Wichita KS
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

mikeschroeder wrote:Hi

This REALLY cracks me up. Wichita has five or six ROTC programs. NONE have Rifle because in it's infinite wisdom made ANY gun, replica or not illegal to have within 100 yards of a school. They can't even do color guard competitions on school property. No shooting, no marching with de-milled Springfields, no marching with swords, no medals with crossed rifles on them.....

Two of our guys have been wearing their 4-H Shooting Sports T-shirts to school, but in Derby KS, haven't been kicked out (YET).

Mike
Wichita KS

And I thought Chicago was bad! (It is) I wouldn't expect that kind of thinking in Kansas.

The same type of thing happened a few years ago in the Chicago public school system. All of the JROTC programs lost their shooting programs, I don't know if it extended in the drill teams also.

Luckily our program in the NW suburbs of Chicago operates out of a private school that is VERY pro-gun, otherwise I can't think of any other school (or facility for that matter) that would support our program in this area. They have even given us a trophy case in the main hallway, and support our efforts on all levels.

Jay V
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
TWP

Post by TWP »

I was really amazed.

This year Virginia had our Junior 3P air sectionals up in Germantown Maryland, in the Gym of a public High School.

I can't imagine our local county allowing that to happen here.
A JAYNES

3PAIR

Post by A JAYNES »

The air rifle sec. Was the first that i known of at a high school in the great state of calif. This was a big move the the school,we get no finanicial help from the school and we are not rotc,the community is great we held a dinner and sold 225 tickets at $25.00 and held raffles ,let's just say we did well with this idea. The school has just bought 30 acres
And if we can get funding will let us build a range on campus
Also we went to nevada an shot one match this year and almost every high school in the reno area has a range on campus and a rifle team that shoots both air and 22 rifle
Roy McClain

Georgia 3P Air Rifle Programs

Post by Roy McClain »

Well, where to start...

In Georgia, we have 115 High School Varsity Rifle Teams that practice and compete in the school facilities... Now there are almost 500 High Schools so we have some room for growth. 90% or so are JROTC. I'd guess that 85% are precision, with 15% purely Sporter. We don't have a separate class, so they all compete in the same class... I know, it's unfair, but it's all we have. We also only shoot 3 x 10, but the tide might be bringing 3 x 20 as I hear lots of coaches talking about going to it at least at our playoffs and State Championship Matches.

We run between 20 - 25% female in the GHSA program, with the State Champion and Runner Up for the last 5 years being female. GSSA runs an “ALL STATE” team competition each year for the GHSA program, and it’s usually 60 / 40 boys vs girls http://www.gssa.com/juniors/All_State/g ... m_2004.htm . You can check Georgia High School specifics on the 3P program since 1992 at http://www.ghsa.net/ Click on Athletics, pick Riflery, then navigate as you choose.

These kids wear their Letter Jackets at school, have “Riflery Letters” with embroidered rifles on them, and if they win a state championship, have “Rings” just like every other sport. We talk about Riflery in the same terms (a rifle is simply a piece of sports equipment, just like a baseball bat, cleats, golf club, tennis racket) as other sports, have web pages on the official school web sites, have announcements and scores reported just like all other sports. If you don’t have these things, then your kids, especially the female and minority athletes are being discriminated against. Sometimes it might take a well written letter from an attorney to the school board to help them see the light, that Riflery is a legitimate sport and has to be given equal treatment. As to the Zero intelligence / Zero Tolerance (ZT) policy, Georgia Law specifically addresses Riflery sports events and allows for a letter written to the Principle outlining the competition to override the ZT thing. I’ll surf the GA code and post it here later.

There are somewhere around 8000 Georgia kids involved in Organized Youth Shooting Activities (JROTC, American Legion, Boy Scouts / Venturing, GHSA, 4H, etc…) and I hear numbers in the 20,000 range of others. With numbers like this, you need only to provide a conduit to help them get organized and it would be interesting to see what comes out the end of the pipe.

I’m always interested in what others are doing, please email me directly or a phone call is always welcome (please note the time is eastern standard, USA – smile) and I’ll make the offer to our South African and Canadian friends as well.

Roy McClain – EODTNT1@aol.com
(770) 412-6604 home / (678) 772-8185 cell
VP http://www.gssa.com/
Roy McClain

Georgia Code 16-11-127.1

Post by Roy McClain »

Georgia General Assembly
Unannotated Code
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003 ... 127.1.html

Inportant part;

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
(1) Baseball bats, hockey sticks, or other sports equipment possessed by competitors for legitimate athletic purposes;
(2) Participants in organized sport shooting events or firearm training courses;
(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person´s possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;
(
7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;
(8) A weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;
(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person´s control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person´s control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

The whole thing;

16-11-127.1.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) 'School safety zone' means in, on, or within 1,000 feet of any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.
(2) 'Weapon' means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, metal knucks, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person´s control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25. Any person who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both; provided, however, that upon conviction of a violation of this subsection involving a firearm as defined in paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-131, or a dangerous weapon or machine gun as defined in Code Section 16-11-121, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of not less than five nor more than ten years, or both. A child who violates this subsection shall be subject to the provisions of Code Section 15-11-63.
(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
(1) Baseball bats, hockey sticks, or other sports equipment possessed by competitors for legitimate athletic purposes;
(2) Participants in organized sport shooting events or firearm training courses;
(3) Persons participating in military training programs conducted by or on behalf of the armed forces of the United States or the Georgia Department of Defense;
(4) Persons participating in law enforcement training conducted by a police academy certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council or by a law enforcement agency of the state or the United States or any political subdivision thereof;
(5) The following persons, when acting in the performance of their official duties or when en route to or from their official duties:
(A) A peace officer as defined by Code Section 35-8-2;
(B) A law enforcement officer of the United States government;
(C) A prosecuting attorney of this state or of the United States;
(D) An employee of the Georgia Department of Corrections or a correctional facility operated by a political subdivision of this state or the United States who is authorized by the head of such correctional agency or facility to carry a firearm;
(E) A person employed as a campus police officer or school security officer who is authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with Chapter 8 of Title 20; and
(F) Medical examiners, coroners, and their investigators who are employed by the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person´s possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;
(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;
(8) A weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;
(9) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;
(10) Those employees of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to carry a weapon;
(11) The Attorney General and those members of his or her staff whom he or she specifically authorizes in writing to carry a weapon;
(12) Probation supervisors employed by and under the authority of the Department of Corrections pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 42, known as the 'State-wide Probation Act,' when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of the Division of Probation;
(13) Public safety directors of municipal corporations;
(14) State and federal trial and appellate judges;
(15) United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys;
(16) Clerks of the superior courts; or
(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person´s control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person´s control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.
(2) Any person who violates this subsection shall be subject to the penalties specified in subsection (b) of this Code section.
(3) This subsection shall not be construed to waive or alter any legal requirement for possession of weapons or firearms otherwise required by law.
(e) It shall be no defense to a prosecution for a violation of this Code section that:
(1) School was or was not in session at the time of the offense;
(2) The real property was being used for other purposes besides school purposes at the time of the offense; or
(3) The offense took place on a school vehicle.
(f) In a prosecution under this Code section, a map produced or reproduced by any municipal or county agency or department for the purpose of depicting the location and boundaries of the area on or within 1,000 feet of the real property of a school board or a private or public elementary or secondary school that is used for school purposes or within 1,000 feet of any campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education, or a true copy of the map, shall, if certified as a true copy by the custodian of the record, be admissible and shall constitute prima-facie evidence of the location and boundaries of the area, if the governing body of the municipality or county has approved the map as an official record of the location and boundaries of the area. A map approved under this Code section may be revised from time to time by the governing body of the municipality or county. The original of every map approved or revised under this subsection or a true copy of such original map shall be filed with the municipality or county and shall be maintained as an official record of the municipality or county. This subsection shall not preclude the prosecution from introducing or relying upon any other evidence or testimony to establish any element of this offense. This subsection shall not preclude the use or admissibility of a map or diagram other than the one which has been approved by the municipality or county.
(g) A county school board may adopt regulations requiring the posting of signs designating the areas within 1,000 feet of school boards and private or public elementary and secondary schools as 'Weapon-free and Violence-free School Safety Zones.'

Roy McClain
VP Georgia Sport Shooting Association
Jay V

Re: Georgia 3P Air Rifle Programs

Post by Jay V »

Roy McClain wrote:Well, where to start...

In Georgia, we have 115 High School Varsity Rifle Teams that practice and compete in the school facilities... Now there are almost 500 High Schools so we have some room for growth. 90% or so are JROTC. I'd guess that 85% are precision, with 15% purely Sporter. We don't have a separate class, so they all compete in the same class... I know, it's unfair, but it's all we have. We also only shoot 3 x 10, but the tide might be bringing 3 x 20 as I hear lots of coaches talking about going to it at least at our playoffs and State Championship Matches.

We run between 20 - 25% female in the GHSA program, with the State Champion and Runner Up for the last 5 years being female. GSSA runs an “ALL STATE” team competition each year for the GHSA program, and it’s usually 60 / 40 boys vs girls http://www.gssa.com/juniors/All_State/g ... m_2004.htm . You can check Georgia High School specifics on the 3P program since 1992 at http://www.ghsa.net/ Click on Athletics, pick Riflery, then navigate as you choose.

These kids wear their Letter Jackets at school, have “Riflery Letters” with embroidered rifles on them, and if they win a state championship, have “Rings” just like every other sport. We talk about Riflery in the same terms (a rifle is simply a piece of sports equipment, just like a baseball bat, cleats, golf club, tennis racket) as other sports, have web pages on the official school web sites, have announcements and scores reported just like all other sports. If you don’t have these things, then your kids, especially the female and minority athletes are being discriminated against. Sometimes it might take a well written letter from an attorney to the school board to help them see the light, that Riflery is a legitimate sport and has to be given equal treatment. As to the Zero intelligence / Zero Tolerance (ZT) policy, Georgia Law specifically addresses Riflery sports events and allows for a letter written to the Principle outlining the competition to override the ZT thing. I’ll surf the GA code and post it here later.

There are somewhere around 8000 Georgia kids involved in Organized Youth Shooting Activities (JROTC, American Legion, Boy Scouts / Venturing, GHSA, 4H, etc…) and I hear numbers in the 20,000 range of others. With numbers like this, you need only to provide a conduit to help them get organized and it would be interesting to see what comes out the end of the pipe.

I’m always interested in what others are doing, please email me directly or a phone call is always welcome (please note the time is eastern standard, USA – smile) and I’ll make the offer to our South African and Canadian friends as well.

Roy McClain – EODTNT1@aol.com
(770) 412-6604 home / (678) 772-8185 cell
VP http://www.gssa.com/
Great job Roy! Keep up the good work. Wish the schools (and the people) up here would think that way!

Jay V
IL
mark

Post by mark »

The Georgia "ZT" law on gun on school grounds is similar to the law in Ohio. The only problem is that most people do not get past the section that states " no guns on school grounds" section. I would not be suprised to find that most state "ZT" laws were written this way, but the anti-gunners always seem to overlook this section when spouting " you can't do that its against the law".

Mark