3-P air and sport development

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Post by Guest »

All things end up being political. I suggest getting on the school board or at least attending their meetings and continue to counter the lies and propaganda that surounds guns and youth. The vast majority of youth that are active in any shooting sport program, rifle, pistol, archery, shotgun see their study skills improve in general.

Shooting sports has a zero death rate whereas in football we have a few deaths and many permanent injuries each year. The percieved danger of the shooting sports just doesn't compare to the actual danger of any of the contact sports.

Facts beat lies and deception IF we get the fact out each and every time we get a chance.

The fact that the majority of children have easy access to firearms and always will have means that not educating them in the safe handling of these common tools equates to neglect in education. We teach how to cross a street, so called safe sex (which is an oxymoron) and drivers education yet are afraid to teach the basic safety rules of firearms.

The forward thinking schools are not afraid of air guns. Use that fact to get a program going in your local schools. It isn't easy but most things worth doing aren't. Have a great INDEPENDENCE Day !!
TWP wrote:I was really amazed.

This year Virginia had our Junior 3P air sectionals up in Germantown Maryland, in the Gym of a public High School.

I can't imagine our local county allowing that to happen here.
sharpshooter

Post by sharpshooter »

Reading those problems makes me a little more happy to live in Alaska. However we(my highschool) do have our own share of the problems. For the last 3 years we have had no permanent coach.

3 years ago it was 7 volunteers. We took Regions, the state championship, and first place in the JOs

2 years ago it was 2 volunteers. We took City, Regions, the Academic Award, the first A Team to go undefeated during the season, one of our shooters took a prone title, a couple of our shooters went to CO, and we also took the state championship, and fourth the JOs

Last year it was the head coach from 3 years ago. We took City, Regions, the first A Team to go undefeated in 2 consecutive years, the same shooter took the prone title again, several more shooters went to CO, and we took third in the JOs.

Each year we have come out on top. And our school district doesn't want to support us with range time, they make no effort what so ever to find a coach, I don't know what will happen with our coach issue this year, I may just have to shoot for a different school.

Post by Guest »

Most likely you have a very left leaning School board and school administration not to be tooting a very distinguished record such as many top finishes in the Junior Olympics and other excellent records. Are they embarrased that such great shooting records are coming from the volunteer program? Remember everything ends up being political in the long run. Have you gotten the word out to the local shooting community or the voters? Often the school board will pay attention if this comes up at election time. I would imagine there are a large number of rifle shooters in Alaska aren't there?
sharpshooter wrote:Reading those problems makes me a little more happy to live in Alaska. However we(my highschool) do have our own share of the problems. For the last 3 years we have had no permanent coach.

3 years ago it was 7 volunteers. We took Regions, the state championship, and first place in the JOs

2 years ago it was 2 volunteers. We took City, Regions, the Academic Award, the first A Team to go undefeated during the season, one of our shooters took a prone title, a couple of our shooters went to CO, and we also took the state championship, and fourth the JOs

Last year it was the head coach from 3 years ago. We took City, Regions, the first A Team to go undefeated in 2 consecutive years, the same shooter took the prone title again, several more shooters went to CO, and we took third in the JOs.

Each year we have come out on top. And our school district doesn't want to support us with range time, they make no effort what so ever to find a coach, I don't know what will happen with our coach issue this year, I may just have to shoot for a different school.
sharpshooter

Post by sharpshooter »

They are by no means the size of the football, cross country running and skiing, or track teams. All the teams in Anchorage are about 24 people after cuts, the most that my school has ever cut is about 10. There is some interest, but there are more people who've never heard of high school rifle teams.

Post by Guest »

Don't hide in the corner! Most of the schools I have ever been in have a bulletin board. Invite your classmates to come and join the fun! If you are saying that there are only 10 shooters in the entire school system then they won't pay much attention to you. How many high schools do you have?
sharpshooter wrote:They are by no means the size of the football, cross country running and skiing, or track teams. All the teams in Anchorage are about 24 people after cuts, the most that my school has ever cut is about 10. There is some interest, but there are more people who've never heard of high school rifle teams.