The New Position Rifle Shooting

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jlkonn

The New Position Rifle Shooting

Post by jlkonn »

Can someone suggest a source for the book "The New Position Rifle Shooting"?
Thanks!
Don

Book

Post by Don »

If you will contact me at bawilli@attglobal.net, I think I can help you at least somewhat with your quest.
Don in Oregon
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

It is available at Amazon.com
A.JAYNES

Post by A.JAYNES »

CENTER SHOTS HAD THIS BOOK AND IT IS EXCELLANT BOOK
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I have one that I can sell since I don't shoot rifle any more. E-mail me if interested.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I took (and actually passed) the NRA Smallbore coach class so I have the study guide. I also have Ralph Constantine's Highpower book, and Tubb's first book. Is this book worth the trouble to get also? If I remember correctly, it's under $20.00, so I guess I could just buy it and find out.

Mike
Wichita KS
JohnK

NRA Coach Classes

Post by JohnK »

Mike,
Are the NRA Coaches Classes pretty tuff?
Thanks!
JLK
mikeschroeder

Re: NRA Coach Classes

Post by mikeschroeder »

JohnK wrote:Mike,
Are the NRA Coaches Classes pretty tuff?
Thanks!
JLK
Hi

The coaches classes and test aren't too tough. I got a 92 on the test of 100. I should have requested that I get the test back, I'd like to know what I missed. There are several "tricky" questions I think. I found more than 95% of the answers in the study guide and Smallbore rule books, so I must have not understood something. I went so far as to keep a copy of the test, and write down what page the answer was on. As far as I know, everyone who did send their test back in passed. One girl didn't send hers in, I think she wanted to know how to shoot, not how to coach.

Our Smallbore / air rifle class took all day Saturday 8:00 AM to say 7:00 PM and most of Sunday. Our instructor had back problems that much, so we didn't shoot as much as he had planned. He couldn't stand for too long. He's back at work, so this year's class should have a little more shooting. We did shoot though. I really like showing someone else how to get into position, and having them show me.

I noted that you're a Pistol shooter. I bought the Pistol Coaches' Study Guide. The NRA will sell coaching books for any discipline to other coaches and maybe (don't remember) instructors.

I would DEFINITELY take the applicable Instructor's course first. Most of the course wouldn't make sense if you don't know the basics first. EVEN IF YOU SHOOT HIGH MASTER. This course is about teaching shooting, not about shooting. I would also note that it was ASSUMED that you knew gun safety we didn't cover that like the other courses I've taken.

Hope the rant helped. I learned a lot.

Mike
Wichita KS
JohnK

Coaches Class

Post by JohnK »

Mike,
Thanks!
I do plan to get NRA Instructor certification by mid summer in at least pistol and rifle. I may have a chance to take the coaches program near year end.
I am interested in these from the teaching end not the learning to shoot end.
Thanks again!
JLK