CMP Remington 40Xs

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Roy McClain

CMP Remington 40Xs

Post by Roy McClain »

I've just received several of the CMP Remington 40Xs to use in our County youth Program. I'm trying to decide the best use for these Rifles (they weigh 11 - 13 pounds). Most of my kids are 5th - 7th grade, and some are quite small.

Should we focus on Prone Matches?

Should we consider converting these rifles for 50' and 50 meter position matches?

Should we look at putting these Rifle Actions in updated Stocks? Which stock?

Thanks for ideas and opinions.

Roy McClain
Spalding County Shooting Sports
EODTNT1@aol.com
Andris

Rifle modifications

Post by Andris »

We just had 6 of our H&R rifles modified for juniors. We had the butt stock cut down shorter and then we had the barrels cut down to 18" and had 12" sight tubes added. These mods made the rifle much lighter and easier for the juniors to use.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Roy:

This might sound very cynical but what your best bet is to sell them and buy some decent jr. rifles. We have been down this path with the 52's.

I got one of the 40x's too and they really are beautiful rifles. The thing is that they are designed to be trainers for full grown men- not kids. The other problem is that there is no part of these rifles that is competitive by todays standards.

In our case 5-6 years ago we had some beautiful 52d's. Lets just say that the 52d is a $650 rifle with sights. After the stock modifications the 52d was then a $400 rifle since most of the people who want these type guns don't want modified ones. Also, the resulting rifle was still a lousy jr. rifle.

We wound up selling all our 52's and 513t's and buying used anschutz 64's from Mac Tilton.

You might consider having an in club auction and sell them to members or have a raffle. You could use the funds to buy either Anschutz 1451's, 1903's, Walther KK100's, or Walther air rifles from CMP. I don't know how this fits with letter of the CMP rules but it is certainly in the spirit of the CMP mission.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Roy: I would like to add that I have already seen some people selling the 40x's on the online auctions. I think a light barreled one was up to $650 and seems to me a heavy barreled one went for about $800.
akihmsa

Re: CMP Remington 40Xs

Post by akihmsa »

Hi Roy

I work with youth also and the age group you are dealing with weigh in the 75 to 110 lb range on average and change rapidly in this time frame 11 to 13years. A 13 pound rifle is anywhere from almost 20% to 12% of their body weight and would be simular to an adult hoisting a 36 pound gun! Too much and likely to result in injuries or the youth just giving up.

For training I would look into 5 to 7 lb guns and using the Light Rifle targets. Gearing your jr. program at these ages toward standard 3P shooting competitions will leave the majority of the group looking for something else to do. You will run across a serious shooter in this age range now and then but they are the exception to the rule (1 in 10). Keep it fun and don't hurt them physically with too big of equipment.

I am not familiar with CMP rules but are you allowed to sell the rifles to finance more appropriate equipment?
Roy McClain wrote:I've just received several of the CMP Remington 40Xs to use in our County youth Program. I'm trying to decide the best use for these Rifles (they weigh 11 - 13 pounds). Most of my kids are 5th - 7th grade, and some are quite small.

Should we focus on Prone Matches?

Should we consider converting these rifles for 50' and 50 meter position matches?

Should we look at putting these Rifle Actions in updated Stocks? Which stock?

Thanks for ideas and opinions.

Roy McClain
Spalding County Shooting Sports
EODTNT1@aol.com