Repetitive Use Injuries

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

dirvine

Repetitive Use Injuries

Post by dirvine »

I have a 17 year old shooter that shoots left-handed and his right little finger goes to sleep when he's shooting. This just started back in Feb. at the Rocky Mtn. Match. He has seen a doctor, but I wondered if anyone else has come accross this.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I had a similar problem several years ago.
Pressure on the elbow seemed to be the problem. Among other things, I removed the armrest from my car door. I think I also took a break for a while.
The sling is also potentially part of the problem. Try mounting it as high as possible on the arm, make sure it comes off the center of the arm, try to get material between the sling and wrist/hand, etc.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I've had a dermatrops compressed by a bad posture, meaning that an area larger than my outstretched hand on the outside of my right leg above the knee has gone chronically numb, and I lost feeling on the inside of my left middle finger as well, though that's recovered. Both were caused by repeated pressure on nerves in the position. I changed position and the problem alleviated itself. I'd hesitate to offer medical advice, but this does seem to be a common problem for people who shoot in the offhand position.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

As opposed to a doc, try visiting a sports physical therapist.

I'm seeing a PT for other problems, but they seem to know very well where the nerves are, and what nerves create what problems. A session with a "good" PT that would allow the shooter to bring his/her rifle into the clinic and set up in a private room or after normal hours might do the trick. My PT had me bring in both my air rifle and pistol to work on my back and tendonitis.

I say "good" PT because like any occupation, I've run into some that are not good. I'm hanging on to my PT. It also helped that her assistant is an ex-Marine, and they are both interested in shooting.

gud luk
Gary