tip for 747 grip

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

GaryN

tip for 747 grip

Post by GaryN »

The Daisy 747 is muzzle heavy and coupled with a plastic grip and you have a situation where the muzzle wants to point to the ground.

What I found was that the plastic grip and the painted frame make the grip slippery, especially if there is any perspiration on the shooters hand. When this happens the grip slips and rotates in the hand, and the muzzle starts heading to the floor.

To prevent the slipping the shooter has to grip the pistol HARD. This might be fine for some shooters, but many junior shooters will not have a grip that is strong enough to prevent the slipping. Besides, I was taught NOT to grip an air pistol HARD like I would a .45. Fighting the grip just makes the effort of learning to shoot the pistol that much harder and more frustrating to a junior. It was to me, and I'm not a junior.

I was able to make a "fix" that almost eliminates the grip slipping and rotating in my hand. I put a small square of plastic "non-skid" tape that I got from Ace Hardware on the bottom of the backstrap. The photo shows where it is installed. It's stiff so you have to play with it to get it to stick and form to the grip.

I don't know the junior rules, so this fix may not be legal in competition. But it does make it easier for the juniors to shoot this pistol. And isn't that what it's all about?

The alternative would be to stipple the backstrap and grip to create a similar rough surface. This probably would be competition legal.

Gary