Youth AP is easy to start

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

akihmsa

Youth AP is easy to start

Post by akihmsa »

While many will want to start the youth out in position rifle, often overlooked is air pistol. The young ones adapt very well to pistol assuming their hands are in the 5/8 to 3/4 size of an adult hands range.

In the shooting sports there is no "right" place to start out, rifle, pistol, archery, or shotgun have appeal to different youth. Have them try as many as they can and then let their own interest lead them where they want to go. To often a parent wants jr. to follow his sport.

On the low end a Daisy 717 or 747 is a good place to begin or moving up a bit look at teh IZH-46 or Tau-7. Any of these can get them to the junior olympics for J3 or J2.

Hats off to Pilkington for the youth shooting programs section!
durant7

Post by durant7 »

akihmsa, we have procured one 747 at this time for our 4-H youth program. We introduced the 888 and the 747 to all the kids this past Sunday. They liked it but found the trigger so light on the pistol that they did not care for it. Something to be learned. Even as a non pistol type I gave it a try and on my 4th shot managed a 10x!

It sure is easy to set up both. Same distance, same pellet, all you need is a different target!

So, what is the proper sequence of "cock and load" for this gun. We seemed to struggle with the proper sequence. I assumed it was my own ignorance but I could not seem to get it to behave consistantly. Problem was it would not engage the cocking lever until after we "cycled" the action a few times. Hate to admit I do not know how to use all the equipment here but so be it. Educate me and I'll be sure 20 kids know the right way too!!

d7
Len_R

Re: Youth AP is easy to start

Post by Len_R »

That's so true, pistol is a breeze compared to rifle. Yes there are lots of "rifle sales" programs but then you need all the other stuff...and that costs a LOT of money.

AP is very easy...some 7x7's or 46's and a bunch of pellets and some targets and you are well on your way.
GaryN

747 charging procedure (edited)

Post by GaryN »

durant

I've had no problem with the charging lever on my 747, but I don't recall a "catch." But, the problem could be the valve. If the valve is staying OPEN then the charging action won't do anything cuz the air is just going thru the valve and out the barrel. So you might have a bad valve, or need to use a different procedure.

Here is the procedure from the 747 instruction manual:
1 - put on safe
2 - open the bolt. (this cocks the hammer) The instruction says that the bolt must be open to pump the gun. I think this means that cocking the bolt closes the valve.
3 - pump (charge the air)
4 - load the pellet
5 - close the bolt
6 - aim
7 - take off safe

Let us know if this solves the problem.

(edit) I just checked my 747 and the way I had thought I used to charge/cock does not work, the gun won't charge. When I follow the Daisy procedure it works fine. Sorry, bad memory.

Gary
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

d7 look on the bottom side of the charging lever for the proper sequence for loading (They must have anticipated old guys like us using the guns ;~) On the trigger if you want it heavier there is a screw in the front of the grip that can be used to adjust from about 1 lb to 3 lb pull range. The little 717 is good as well especially if you are looking for a heavier trigger out of the box. Both will shoot 1/4" groups or less at 10 meters if you find the pellets they like and can do your part. They wont run with the PCP's but are really not all that far behind. Thanks for your efforts working with the youth, the shooting sports needs lots of folks just like you!
durant7 wrote:akihmsa, we have procured one 747 at this time for our 4-H youth program. We introduced the 888 and the 747 to all the kids this past Sunday. They liked it but found the trigger so light on the pistol that they did not care for it. Something to be learned. Even as a non pistol type I gave it a try and on my 4th shot managed a 10x!

It sure is easy to set up both. Same distance, same pellet, all you need is a different target!

So, what is the proper sequence of "cock and load" for this gun. We seemed to struggle with the proper sequence. I assumed it was my own ignorance but I could not seem to get it to behave consistantly. Problem was it would not engage the cocking lever until after we "cycled" the action a few times. Hate to admit I do not know how to use all the equipment here but so be it. Educate me and I'll be sure 20 kids know the right way too!!

d7