Looking for ideas to help fund trip to Junior Olympics

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Jay V

Looking for ideas to help fund trip to Junior Olympics

Post by Jay V »

A team (4 shooters, 2 coaches) from our club will be making the trip to the Junior Olympic 3P National Championship this July, and will need help with funding.

Has anyone had any luck getting any type of corporate sponsorships? What specific approach has worked in the past? What fund-raisers (fairly large scale) have worked well for your group? Other than the NRA Foundation, what other groups may give a grant to attend the Junior Olympics?

Anything else I should look into?

Thanks.

Jay V
AIAC, IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
Paedagogus

Re: Looking for ideas to help fund trip to Junior Olympics

Post by Paedagogus »

Jay V wrote:A team (4 shooters, 2 coaches) from our club will be making the trip to the Junior Olympic 3P National Championship this July, and will need help with funding.

Has anyone had any luck getting any type of corporate sponsorships? What specific approach has worked in the past? What fund-raisers (fairly large scale) have worked well for your group? Other than the NRA Foundation, what other groups may give a grant to attend the Junior Olympics?
Contact your state association. Ours is taking care of the kids. Coaches are on their own. Try talking to local gun stores, also. Ours have been helpful (~$1000) for trips to Camp Perry, and other national events. If you're trying to get money for this year, you are probably too late. You should start working on next year's funds now. Novelty matches attached to a PTO work very well (charge $1-5 per match depending on the prize). Try doing postals too (run your own).
Jay V

Re: Looking for ideas to help fund trip to Junior Olympics

Post by Jay V »

Paedagogus wrote: Contact your state association. Ours is taking care of the kids. Coaches are on their own. Try talking to local gun stores, also. Ours have been helpful (~$1000) for trips to Camp Perry, and other national events. If you're trying to get money for this year, you are probably too late. You should start working on next year's funds now. Novelty matches attached to a PTO work very well (charge $1-5 per match depending on the prize). Try doing postals too (run your own).
Thanks for the ideas. Our state association funded us last year for the NRA National Junior Air Gun Team Championship in Wilmington, NC, but they are not funding the Junior Olympics. We are getting together a list of possible contributors, and will add the gun shops. We just found out that we will be going, so this is the start of our fundraising. Novelty matches are a good idea also. We do use club matches ($5) for some club funding.

Jay
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jay: I am sort of new at this fund raising stuff but last fall we did a gun raffle and it was a very easy way to raise funds. We raffled a Rem 700 and the winner got his pick of the rifle or $450. We sold 250 tickets at $5 each. It is not large scale but can be expanded. The tickets sold very easily.
Jay V

Thanks Pete (nt)

Post by Jay V »

pdeal wrote:Jay: I am sort of new at this fund raising stuff but last fall we did a gun raffle and it was a very easy way to raise funds. We raffled a Rem 700 and the winner got his pick of the rifle or $450. We sold 250 tickets at $5 each. It is not large scale but can be expanded. The tickets sold very easily.
Thanks Pete.

Jay
whitebear

Garage Sales

Post by whitebear »

You can make a surprising amount of money from garage sales. On two weeks notice, our junior club raised almost $2000 to fund our trip to Camp Perry last year.

Hit up parents, friends, relatives, sporting goods stores, for donations.

We're doing it again this year.

Post by Guest »

I thought the Junior Olympics were next week in Colorado Springs? We got 5 kids headed there. The local Optomists club helps sponsor them.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Anonymous wrote:I thought the Junior Olympics were next week in Colorado Springs? We got 5 kids headed there. The local Optomists club helps sponsor them.
International air rifle (standing only) and pistol competitions (maybe others also) are held there. The 3P air rifle matches are held in Bowling Green, KY, this July.

Jay

Post by Guest »

Do you have to qualify for the one in Bowling Green, just like the one in Colorado Springs? I thought that for Jr Olympics only one or two from each state get to go.
mark

Post by mark »

Anonymous wrote:Do you have to qualify for the one in Bowling Green, just like the one in Colorado Springs? I thought that for Jr Olympics only one or two from each state get to go.
The match in bowling green is not a Jr olympics event. This event is The International BB Gun and Air Rifle Championships, sponsored by Daisy and USA Shooting.

I would check with the Daisy or USA shooting for the match bulletin.

mark
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Anonymous wrote:Do you have to qualify for the one in Bowling Green, just like the one in Colorado Springs? I thought that for Jr Olympics only one or two from each state get to go.
Yes. 1 sporter 3P team and 1 precision 3P team from each state, as determined by a state 3P Junior Olympic championship. They also have some type of individual selection based on the top 30 or so shooters in each category that are not on a team.

Jay
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

(Quote) "The match in bowling green is not a Jr olympics event. This event is The International BB Gun and Air Rifle Championships, sponsored by Daisy and USA Shooting.

I would check with the Daisy or USA shooting for the match bulletin."

Mark

The 3P Junior Olympics are after the IBBGC. Part of the bulletin is copied below from the USA Shooting site under 3P air.

Jay

2004 NATIONAL JUNIOR OLYMPIC
THREE - POSITION AIR RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP

SPORTER & PRECISION
Preliminary PROGRAM
Updated: December 8, 2003
The Auxiliary Gym at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY approximately 65 miles north of Nashville TN. We have room to have approximately 80 firing points facing one direction and have visitors and spectators on the range.

ELIGIBILITY:
All participants must qualify as outlined in the state guide to participate at the national level. Seniors who have just graduated are eligible until August 31 of the year they complete high school.

RULES:
The 2003-2004 National Standard Three-Position Air Rifle Rules will govern.

QUALIFYING:
Individual:
All shooters must fire in a state qualifying competition. States will select teams and provide the necessary information to the selected winners. In addition to teams, approximately 30 nationally ranked individuals (15 Sporter and 15 Precision) as determined from nationally consolidated state results and not identified as a participating team member will also be invited. Individuals may not participate at the national level in both the sporter and precision events. A parent or guardian must accompany individuals under age 18. USA Shooting will not accept the responsibility of minors traveling alone!
Team:
Each state may send one, four-person team for Sporter and one, four-person team for Precision. States are required to maintain club or scholastic team integrity (same school). The same team may not participate in both events. State teams must comply with the “School Age Team” rule in the National Standard Rules. If the highest scoring team in the state qualifier cannot attend, the next placing team may represent the state. Teams that loose a member for some reason may replace that person with another member of the same club or school.

(snip)
Oren

ibbgm

Post by Oren »

The ibbgm in Bowling Green is an open air rifle match but you have to qualify to shoot bb-gun.

Post by Guest »

Jay V wrote:
Yes. 1 sporter 3P team and 1 precision 3P team from each state, as determined by a state 3P Junior Olympic championship. They also have some type of individual selection based on the top 30 or so shooters in each category that are not on a team.

Jay

Hi Jay! Paula here ...

(hope I'm doing this right! :^)

I am still envious at all the neat competitions that the juniors can shoot!
Do we have a precision team going from Illinois?
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Do we have a precision team going from Illinois?
Hi Paula,

The team for Pekin High School won the precision team championship, I am assuming that they are planning to go.

Jay
pal177WRC

Post by pal177WRC »

Thanks Jay, now I get it. They had to be a "real" team (one club) BEFORE the match. Not a "State" team like what went to Wilmington last summer, composed of juniors from different clubs.

Doh! Am I being real dense, or does this stuff not get explained real well on the match programs? My little gray cells don't know this intrinsically :^)
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

pal177WRC wrote:Thanks Jay, now I get it. They had to be a "real" team (one club) BEFORE the match. Not a "State" team like what went to Wilmington last summer, composed of juniors from different clubs.

Doh! Am I being real dense, or does this stuff not get explained real well on the match programs? My little gray cells don't know this intrinsically :^)

It gets confusing...

Yes, the JO team was decided by team match competition at the JO state championship, the team for the NRA Nationals was based on individual results from the NRA/ISRA selection match.

Jay