Scoring BB targets

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

durant7

Scoring BB targets

Post by durant7 »

Scoring targets. I have shot a few 10m matches with my 2002SSP using wadcutters. Got educated on the scoring guage and it certainly removes the subjectivity.

I have an 888 it is seems to be pushing the wadcutter a bit slower than the 2002 as it cuts a hole but not as cleanly. Scoring guage will be an important thing to acquire. Is that a CMP item?

Have a 499 and purchased some official 5m BB gun targets on "tag" paper. (Not sure why it is called tag paper...) Anyway, shot the 499 at 5m at the bull and yuck! I sure as heck would not want to be the one deciding 8 vs 9 or 9 vs 10 at a big match!

Better yet, looking through a youngster's eyes, how are they going to feel when they see a whole bunch of torn paper and the GWF (Great White Father) calls it a 7 and not an 8.....I'm sure it looks the same as his buddies target and he got an 8!

So...how do you guys score BB targets and ensure the kids feel like they did not fall victim to a bad call? After looking at my targets I see a challenge down the road.

Jud
Jay V

Re: Scoring BB targets

Post by Jay V »

[quote="durant7"]I have an 888 it is seems to be pushing the wadcutter a bit slower than the 2002 as it cuts a hole but not as cleanly. Scoring guage will be an important thing to acquire. Is that a CMP item?
snip -
So...how do you guys score BB targets and ensure the kids feel like they did not fall victim to a bad call? After looking at my targets I see a challenge down the road.

Hi Jud,

Talk to Pilkington or Gunsmithing Inc. about an "outward" scoring gauge for 10M air rifle. There are "inward" and "outward" gauges for air rifle and air pistol. The "outward" gauge relies on the even spacing of the scoring rings to determine if the shot is "in" or "out" by letting you look at the plugged shot in relation to a scoring ring outward from the shot hole. After you do it a few times it will be clear. You can only "plug" (install a gauge) once to determine shot value, and the shot should be marked as "P" then "+" or"-" depending on if it made it to the next ring or not. A 8-10x loupe that fits over the top of the inserted plug is the best way to really get a good look at it. For most scoring a .177 overlay should be used, leaving the plug for shots that are too close to call with the overlay.

I don't have any BB gun experience, but I believe you would also use an overlay to outline the shot and determine its value. Don't know where you get those - sorry.

Jay V
AIAC, IL
TomF

Post by TomF »

HI Jud!

If you are going to be at HCRPC this weekend I will have all of my scoring gauges and you can look at each one. I have a spare I can loan you also. Otherwise you can get scoring gauges from many sources. I got mine from the NRA.

But I dont know if the BB gauges are different as I have not seen one. My gauges are UIT .177 10m pistol and rifle.

I also have an overlay with several bulls of different sizes.

Tom
PaulB

Scoring BB Targets

Post by PaulB »

The current BB target can not be scored with an outside gauge because the scoring rings are not of a uniform size. A new target with uniform rings is coming out this year and a outward scoring gauge will be produced. Check for an announcement from the NRA Air Gun department and don't buy any huge quantity of the current target
LarryRich

Scoring B-B Targets

Post by LarryRich »

The first thing you must remember when scoring B-B targets is that the B-B's "push" through the target like a smallbore bullet. By using a .177 inward gauge (no outward B-B gauges exist), a scorer can easily see whether or not a ring is touched. I plug any shot hole that is between scoring rings because there is usually a pretty good chance that, with the scoring plug in place, the shot hole will at least touch the higher ring. Unless a shot is obviously one ring or another, you should employ a plug. If ne uses 10M air rifle logic in scoring a B-B trget, the result will be uch lower scores.
sharpshooter

Post by sharpshooter »

Just a quick hijack of the thread...Why would the rings be inconsistent in size?
Moe Draznin

hole size

Post by Moe Draznin »

Welcome to BB gun world. The size changes because the velocity is not the same everytime as well as the size/surface of the BBs.
The humidity in the air play a role in the size of the cuts and the shape.

Thats the reality of the sport!

Moe.