Forum for youth programs??

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

d7

Forum for youth programs??

Post by d7 »

Question to the moderator and/or the community. There are a number of folks on here who have a lot to contribute to those of us who are trying to get youth programs off the ground. Ideas, motives, moral support etc are all needed (for me anyway) to get new programs going.

Is this a good place to discuss as sporter airguns are (from what I can tell) the most active class, or would it be better to have a independent "youth program" section?

Just an idea/question. I respect this board and those who post on it. So I want to be sure to get off on the right foot.

Thanks!

Jud
JPM

Sure - Start here!

Post by JPM »

Jud,

As you have correctly perceived, most (not all) youth programs involve sporter class air rifles. So ask your questions. There are several of us watching who have "been there and done that - or are still doing it".

Jim

Post by Guest »

yes, this is exactly the forum to discuss youth programs, from 499s to Valiants

Post by Guest »

Do not do a disservice to the youth by limiting them to only sporters! A well rounded shooter needs both air and smallbore to get into most college programs. And to be the next generation to populate our clubs and carry the tradition on.
mikeschroeder

Youth Programs

Post by mikeschroeder »

Anonymous wrote:Do not do a disservice to the youth by limiting them to only sporters! A well rounded shooter needs both air and smallbore to get into most college programs. And to be the next generation to populate our clubs and carry the tradition on.
Hi

In Sedgwick County 4-H we've gotten a fair Sporter Air Rifle group going, we have one boy who has shot Smallbore at 4-H Nationals. He also owns a Precision gun. We've also given our first (in a few years anyway) Shotgun class.

I think it would be a good idea to have an area for threads specific to running a youth program, as opposed to how to shoot.

Mike
Jay V

Youth Programs

Post by Jay V »

It would be nice to have a Youth Programs category that would include all of the junior events (3P precision and sporter as well as junior air pistol, smallbore, and BB gun).

I'd like to hear from others that have ideas about running, coaching, and improving junior programs.

Jay V
AIAC
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
durant7

Post by durant7 »

I agree with Jay but until there is a separate area, we'll share youth issues under sporter. It seems you've given me license to do that.

Our club is two years old, 4-H in Collin County (Plano/Allen/Frisco aka "north of Dallas") Shot gun seems to be going strong but is driven by parents for "their" child. That's fine! SB is present but is "bring what you own" which IMO cannot work. But ANY exposure is positive if gun safety is 51% or more of the focus. My goal is to take the SB program to the next level and just call it "Precision shooting".

Last year we had zero money to buy pecision training tools. So, two of us spent a great deal of time writing grant requests, selling Butter Braids etc etc. Good news, the money problem has been solved through the generosity of NRA, TSRA and DIVAS!

We have 6 499Bs on order with Daisy. We have been calling since November but they have been on back order. Now that we have money we placed an order in Feb and have been told they will be in late March and orders will be filled first come first serve.......I'm not optimistic! I was able to buy a 499A used and we let the small fry use it.

Next, I bought a 888. Played with it. Thanks to Jay he helped me sort out the heavy, creepy trigger. Works great now! Ordered 3 more used 888s and a new 853 so we will have both types. So, soon we will have some equipment.

Next challenge is WHERE to have practice. I think that is where my effort is next going to be focused next. And WHERE also includes issues like frequency, positions, 5m BB and 10m Sporter, duration, drills, sight-in, backstop size. This is all new territory. Any input would be appreciated. And if we do this well, then when we go to the .22 range, just think how tight those groups will be!!

Thanks!
JPM

Post by JPM »

Howdy - I started our indoor air rifle program from scratch two years ago. The club kicked in the $$ to get moving and buy a few guns. Got a grant from the NRA to really get what I needed this last season. Looking for more NRA money and a bit from the parent club to continue growing.

We shoot in the basement of our club house which we turn into a 10 meter (well 9.5) range every other week. Our backstop is heavy canvas painter tarp. I use the large size Daisy pellet traps on milk crates for air rifle and boxes stuffed with newpaper for BB gun. I bought kneeling rolls and mats with grant money.

The youth air rifle program has been a success at our club, actually drawing new (adult) members into the club. So . . . the club is building a new larger facility and is going to allow me to do a permanent 10 meter air rifle range inside. I cannot wait!! Thanks Jay for the pellet trap design, will be using a minor variation (since I am installing it permanent).

Jim in Michigan
mikeschroeder

4-H Shotgun

Post by mikeschroeder »

durant7 wrote:I agree with Jay but until there is a separate area, we'll share youth issues under sporter. It seems you've given me license to do that.

Our club is two years old, 4-H in Collin County (Plano/Allen/Frisco aka "north of Dallas") Shot gun seems to be going strong but is driven by parents for "their" child. That's fine! SB is present but is "bring what you own" which IMO cannot work.
.....cut cut slice slice...

Next, I bought a 888. Played with it. Thanks to Jay he helped me sort out the heavy, creepy trigger. Works great now! Ordered 3 more used 888s and a new 853 so we will have both types. So, soon we will have some equipment.
Thanks!
Hi

We're doing shotgun the ame way right now. We've asked for NRA money for shotguns, which brings up the next questions. We have the sporter air rifles and bb guns in an el cheapo gun safe at the 4-H building. I don't feel comfortable using the same arrangement for a bunch of 20 gauge shotguns. With the exception of the kids in the course, NO ONE would steal an 853, you can only pump it once... but a shotgun is a whole new ball game. What does everyone else do with their club guns that are actually firearms?

Next part, I would buy 888's and / or Valiants. We get a lot of little kids and they can't pump an 853. We even have to cut half the stock off the 499s.

Good luck

Mike
Wichita ks

Post by Guest »

Next challenge is WHERE to have practice. I think that is where my effort is next going to be focused next. And WHERE also includes issues like frequency, positions, 5m BB and 10m Sporter, duration, drills, sight-in, backstop size. This is all new territory. Any input would be appreciated. And if we do this well, then when we go to the .22 range, just think how tight those groups will be!!

You might try the local VFW or Legion Post. When they walk in they see Bingo halls, but I always see airgun ranges.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Anonymous wrote:snip - You might try the local VFW or Legion Post. When they walk in they see Bingo halls, but I always see airgun ranges.
I have that same thought every time I see ANY big open indoor space! - I wonder if they know that this would make a great airgun range...

Jay
IL
MartyR

Jr 4-P Smallbore and Highpower Program

Post by MartyR »

Not sure how long our club has had a Jr. program, but the current president shot as a Jr. at the club.
Our kids started shooting 3 seasons ago and both my husband & I became "coaches" last season.
The Smallbore Program: We teach a Basic Rifle class in Feb and then March thru October the kids shoot once a month. The club provides the rifles, ammunication, jackets, slings, eyes & ears, mitts and the kids earn their patches, rockers, pins, medals & certificates (NRA Qualification). We have had a couple kids earn distinguested expert. The Jr. program is open to any 10 to 20yr old. In March we had over 40 kids. Over the years the NRA grants have enable us to reach this many kids. We mostly have 1451s and some Remington's for the larger kids. The kids pay a small fee for the year. Most all of the coaches have both the NRA RSO & Rifle Instructor.
Jr. High Power: For the kids that are willing to invest more time and want to compete more, we have a Jr. High Power team. They buy their ammunition, but the club provides the rifles. They compete each year at Camp Perry.

Our club gets very involved with the Friends of the NRA dinners and members kick in money for better guns at the dinner. I think this year that our local dinner grossed the most in the state. (NC) There was a 1451 sporter raffled off and the winner donated the rifle to the Jr. program. Great support from your club makes a big difference as well as the grants from the NRA.

Marty
Jay V

Re: Jr 4-P Smallbore and Highpower Program

Post by Jay V »

MartyR wrote:Not sure how long our club has had a Jr. program, but the current president shot as a Jr. at the club.
Our kids started shooting 3 seasons ago and both my husband & I became "coaches" last season.
The Smallbore Program: We teach a Basic Rifle class in Feb and then March thru October the kids shoot once a month. The club provides the rifles, ammunication, jackets, slings, eyes & ears, mitts and the kids earn their patches, rockers, pins, medals & certificates (NRA Qualification). We have had a couple kids earn distinguested expert. The Jr. program is open to any 10 to 20yr old. In March we had over 40 kids. Over the years the NRA grants have enable us to reach this many kids. We mostly have 1451s and some Remington's for the larger kids. The kids pay a small fee for the year. Most all of the coaches have both the NRA RSO & Rifle Instructor.
Jr. High Power: For the kids that are willing to invest more time and want to compete more, we have a Jr. High Power team. They buy their ammunition, but the club provides the rifles. They compete each year at Camp Perry.

Our club gets very involved with the Friends of the NRA dinners and members kick in money for better guns at the dinner. I think this year that our local dinner grossed the most in the state. (NC) There was a 1451 sporter raffled off and the winner donated the rifle to the Jr. program. Great support from your club makes a big difference as well as the grants from the NRA.

Marty

Congratulations on a great program!

Jay V
IL
Helen

Post by Helen »

My biggest piece of advise to get a junior program going & keep it going, is to get the support of the Mothers.
Think about it:
You have the Mothers, you have the whole family.
You alienate or don't gain the support of the Mothers, you lose the whole family.
Speaking from experience in coaching junior air pistol for 8 years, & teaching women to shoot, at special womens'-only events.
Of course, speaking from Canada, too, which means I have a harder time in winning over non-shooting parents.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I totally agree with Helen. I have seen this in our own program and in speaking with another fellow who works with a very successful program and has lots of years experience with this stuff. Get the Mom on board and you have a shooter.
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

I agree with Helen, but would expand it to "Parents". You have to get the parents involved and actually shooting as well. The sporter area is where it is at for larger numbers of participants due primarily to lower cost. We have found that once you get the parents shooting, the children really try to beat their parents score. This also goes a long way towards strengthening families which are the backbone of everything that is good!

Only about 1 in 10 are truly focused on being a top competitor so keep things light most of the time, and put a premium on "personal bests" over just the top scores. All benefit from a good program whether they have competitive ambitions or not.

Get em shooting!
pdeal wrote:I totally agree with Helen. I have seen this in our own program and in speaking with another fellow who works with a very successful program and has lots of years experience with this stuff. Get the Mom on board and you have a shooter.