SCAMmy looking email

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Ltdave

SCAMmy looking email

Post by Ltdave »

can anyone give me some insight to whether or not this is legit?

i forwarded the first email (like this) to Alex but ive not heard anything back yet..

Email Subject
REMINDER: United States Olympic/Paralympic Committee SHO Natl Jr Olym Champs Lname D and E-Guardian ofAmelia Delll - ACTION REQUIRED

Morgan Wiggin <notifications@assuresign.com>
To:Guardian of Amelia Delll
Mar 10 at 8:05 PM

Hello Guardian of Amelia Delll,

The United States Olympic/Paralympic Committee has sent you the SHO Natl Jr Olym Champs Lname D and E-Guardian ofAmelia Delll that you have yet to submit. You MUST submit this form prior to your visit.

The form will expire on 04-06-2018, if you do not complete it.

Please review and sign the form by clicking here

Thank you, United States Olympic/Paralympic Committee
Team USA

i highlighted some pretty poor grammar and spelling which basically leads me to believe this is some sort of phishing expedition from overseas. i have NOT opened the "form" available at the "clicking here" link... can someone shed some light on this please?
jhmartin

Re: SCAMmy looking email

Post by jhmartin »

Call Alex at USA Shooting. He'll let you know if it's a bogus email
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

jhmartin wrote:Call Alex at USA Shooting. He'll let you know if it's a bogus email
i forwarded the email to him but yeah, ill give him a call on monday...
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

Alex replied to my email and told me it is a legitimate request from the OTC themselves...

he has asked them to clean it up and fix it but to no avail...

i answered the questions in it and replied...
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

Form has to be filled out and submitted once per calendar year when going to OTC for a competition.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

Tavishwm wrote:Form has to be filled out and submitted once per calendar year when going to OTC for a competition.
i get it, but did you see the horrid grammar and spelling?

this thing REEKED of an overseas scam email...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Some info:
The USOC has decided that the OTC, specifically in C-Springs ... dunno about the others, will be it's own cost center and should make a profit.
As such they are looking to cut costs --- everywhere.

Many sports that are housed there are losing housing for their resident athletes so that more rooms can be made available for dollars producing "camps".

These athletes, formerly know as "Residents" are now being converted to "Day Use" athletes and have to move offsite. The sports can bring in an athlete for,--I think--, 90 days, but then they have to move off campus again.

All of our Pistol shooters were moved out in Feb, and most our Rifle shooters had till may 31, but most have movied off ... a few are holding out until May. You can imagine the chaos in the dorms with campies running the halls at night --- yes even after the 10pm quiet time. Most residents did not want to fight that atmosphere.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Ltdave wrote:
Tavishwm wrote:Form has to be filled out and submitted once per calendar year when going to OTC for a competition.
i get it, but did you see the horrid grammar and spelling?

this thing REEKED of an overseas scam email...
You are correct. I work in IT and our CISO would never have allowed such an email. Hopefully it was at the very least digitally signed?

Chip