Air Rifle Silhouette

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

trlrider

Air Rifle Silhouette

Post by trlrider »

Morning all! Name is Louis and new to the the forum.
My son is in 4-H Shooting Sports and I am a multi-discipline coach in 4-H. Also active in CMP and NRA competition.

Question:
What air rifle is everyone using for silhouettes? And I may have to qualify with, in Texas 4-H we are not allowed any rifle with a pistol grip/AR style appearance stock! And we are still waiting for the rules revisions.

Having looked at springers, inert gas and PCP rifles for just silhouette competition, it seems currently there is no perfect solution.
Most PCP guns will not fire 40 accurate shots without being recharged, and springers and inert gas guns have their own set of issues when dealing with younger (smaller frame) shooters.
CO2 is not a solid option in South Central Texas due to the hot humid days here. I have seen some shooters immediately change cartridges after each bank of 10!

Looking forward to the discussion!

Thank You,

Louis
Jslaughter

Re: Air Rifle Silhouette

Post by Jslaughter »

A challenger turned up a little bit with a decent scope able to focus at close distance will do fine it will get 40 shots. This no pistol grip "AR" style stock is getting ridiculous the rule was any commercially manufactured air rifle up to .25 just 2 years ago. Texas 4h is too worried about what some one might say. As far as anyone knows there is not anyone complaining about precision rifles looking like ar15's.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

If you are talking about the Silhouette shooting that includes trying to hit a bunch of stupid metal targets that jump out of your projectiles way when they see it coming, you will want to go here for a wealth of knowledge:

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/

The air rifle of choice over at that site is the Air Arms TX200 springer. (not the carbine)
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_ ... _Rifle/174

PS; I have learned to dislike chickens.
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

ROTFLMAO, thanks!
Shooterer wrote:If you are talking about the Silhouette shooting that includes trying to hit a bunch of stupid metal targets that jump out of your projectiles way when they see it coming, you will want to go here for a wealth of knowledge:

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/

The air rifle of choice over at that site is the Air Arms TX200 springer. (not the carbine)

PS; I have learned to dislike chickens.
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

The 2016 rules did still say that, but there has been enough flak given over it, I am trying to avoid issues.

Trying to keep from modifying the Challenver we own, so it stays in compliance for other sporter sanctions we shoot.

Thank You

Jslaughter wrote:A challenger turned up a little bit with a decent scope able to focus at close distance will do fine it will get 40 shots. This no pistol grip "AR" style stock is getting ridiculous the rule was any commercially manufactured air rifle up to .25 just 2 years ago. Texas 4h is too worried about what some one might say. As far as anyone knows there is not anyone complaining about precision rifles looking like ar15's.
rowdy

Post by rowdy »

My daughter was on the 4H Texas Air Rifle team last year and she used a T200 CZ from Champion's Choice (sporter class). They approved it at the national championship.
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

Shooterer wrote:
Like the specs on this one, and the fact it is a under-lever makes it that much better. Now if it was available in a ambi stock it would be a winner for us. Have both left and right hand shooters to train, and the budget is currently for one rifle.
Will look for a workaround on that, might find a solution.

thanks
JDMANN

Post by JDMANN »

My son competed in Air Rifle at 4-H Nationals last year. He's an NRA AAA class air and Smallbore silhouette shooter. He uses a CZ/Air Arms T200 (PCP) cranked up to 700fps. The higher velocity helps on windy days. Some of my shooters use the Crosman Challenger with excellent results. If money is a concern, the 3P rifles work very well, provided they're scoped.
If going with PCP, pay attention to what air pressures the gun likes. You are given time to "air up" at Nationals, so I wouldn't let that worry you.
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Looking at the suggested options and some others.
There are a couple of new PCP Guns that are suppose to hit the market any day now with great reviews, regulated and up to 60 usable shots with factory settings.
So with our State competition still a few months away, and the fact the revised rules set has not been published, going to keep looking and researching.
He has his Challenger for Sporter Air and a inert gas break-barrel that he seems to be doing okay with for a couple of fun shoots we have coming up. Will be looking at what others are using and well, hopefully make a choice.
The CZ T200 is looking like a good option.

Thanks,
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

JDMANN wrote:If going with PCP, pay attention to what air pressures the gun likes. You are given time to "air up" at Nationals, so I wouldn't let that worry you.
Don't they make you go out of the building if you are using PCP?
And if I am reading this correct, they gave time between banks of animals to "air up"! Hmm!

Thanks!
JDMANN

Post by JDMANN »

They provide a seperate room in the building. The safe area is deemed necessary by NRA Rules. Shooters were given time to air up between animals.
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

JDMANN wrote:They provide a seperate room in the building. The safe area is deemed necessary by NRA Rules. Shooters were given time to air up between animals.
Thanks, I did not know that!
My son has another 2 years before he can apply for the Texas Team - but it is good information for our other members.
We have 3 members of our club going this year in different disciplines.
Texdance

Post by Texdance »

trlrider wrote:
Shooterer wrote:
Like the specs on this one, and the fact it is a under-lever makes it that much better. Now if it was available in a ambi stock it would be a winner for us. Have both left and right hand shooters to train, and the budget is currently for one rifle.
Will look for a workaround on that, might find a solution.

thanks
The local coach borrowed my PCP air rifle, a CC T200, for the Texas Roundup competition last summer. His boys both shot it in Precision, the older one placed top ten, the younger nearly that well. They are both lefties; they also had my FWB Precision air rifle, but could not to shoot it because the stock is right handed. They both chose to shoot the CC T200 with its ambi stock. It is for sale now here and over at Rimfire Central. I could make a deal on a 4-stage pump also if needed.