J2 Womens AR cutoffs higher than J1 again!

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

tstamey

J2 Womens AR cutoffs higher than J1 again!

Post by tstamey »

Can anyone explain to me why year after year with women's AR the cutoff for the younger J2s is higher than the cutoff for older J1s? I have asked this question before and been told "There are more J2s and it's more competitive". Not so, 121 J1s were invited and only 63 J2s. BTW J3 cutoffs went up 6 points this year and only 15 were invited and two of those were state champs with lower score than cutoff. To grow the best, I think you should encourage those young shooters instead of making it harder for them than mediocre older shooters. As a coach it just doesn't make sense to me and how do I explain to the 9th grade girls that they have to shoot a higher score than a woman in college to make J.O.s?????
SlartyBartFast

Re: J2 Womens AR cutoffs higher than J1 again!

Post by SlartyBartFast »

tstamey wrote:I have asked this question before and been told "There are more J2s and it's more competitive". Not so, 121 J1s were invited and only 63 J2s.
Interesting. Maybe by competitive, they mean number of candidates, and lowering the cutoff by a couple points would result in far more shooters being invited?

Is there a decent explanation of the selection process somewhere? Or a list of all candidates?

Just asking/commenting out of the top of my head on this.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

i may be completely off in this but:

when i was in the Air Force testing for a promotion, they would have everyone test. those scores were added with all the other points earned for the cycle...

after all the testing if there were 200 candidates, but they only had 15 spots, the 15th Airman's score became the "cut-off" score...

the score would be a floating score from year to year. if the next year they had only 13 spots and the top 13 candidates had lower scores than the previous year, that would be the cut-off even if it was many points less...

do they say "were inviting X number of J1, Y number of J2 and Z number of J3" and thats how the scores are figured?

the cut-off this year for Women's Air was 377. my daughter shot a 375 as State Champion. Small bore not even close...
tstamey

Post by tstamey »

Dave,

You are correct there are just so many lanes and relays and thus a certain number of athletes that can attend. My problem is the cut off being higher for younger girls (J2) than older (J1). A J2 shooting the same qualification score as a J1 has just as good a chance making the finals as the J1. Take your AF example, all things being equal (time in grade, time in service, performance reports, medals and test scores) should you make the cut off higher for individuals under a certain age? I think not! If they wanted to make it equal then the cut off should be the same for everyone and do away with the State Champ entry as why should someone in a State with fewer shooters have an advantage? Athletes have asked me these questions and they are good ones!
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

tstamey wrote:A J2 shooting the same qualification score as a J1 has just as good a chance making the finals as the J1.
Do the J1s and J2s compete in the same classification or continue to compete separately?
If still separate, the comparison in scores is irrelevant. As the younger, and better skilled, athletes move up into the older classification they will start to dominate and as the new generation of more competitive and closer spaced athletes takes over the older classification the cutoff will climb.

Disclaimer: I know nothing. Just trying to learn.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
tstamey

Post by tstamey »

Bart,

They are classified differently but all three classes compete for the finals which determines the Champion, 2nd and 3rd overall. In 2015 and in 2014 the Champion and second place overall were both J2s!!! They do have three places on separate podiums for J2 and J3. Once upon a time, outside of State Champions they gave each class a cut off which resulted in the same number of athletes in each class.

I'm trying to learn also, why with 121 J1s and 63 J2s that the cut off is higher for J2's? Common sense would say with the J1s being the more experienced shooters and many of them shooting in college that their cut off would be higher than the J2's or at least the same.....

Am I making sense?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Maybe because fewer of the J2s are driving and dating?