Youth shooting opportunities in Austin Texas area?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

wahoowillie

Youth shooting opportunities in Austin Texas area?

Post by wahoowillie »

My grandson lives in Austin, TX and is interested in getting into a youth program preferably AR but maybe small bore. He's only 11 years old but acts older and is very sensible. He was just visiting us here in VA and I let him shoot my Winchester Model 52 .22LR and Ruger Mark 2. My Pardini SP is LH so he couldn't try it. He did remarkably well and is now on fire with enthusiasm for target shooting. I would like to feed that but don't know if he's old enough for youth team involvement. Can someone in the Austin area please offer some advice?
NRA Life Member
shawn706

Re: Youth shooting opportunities in Austin Texas area?

Post by shawn706 »

trlrider

Post by trlrider »

As post, the Travis County 4-H is a very active group, in fact the first Saturday in March is the March Madness Invitational where 4-H Clubs from all over the state compete in Air Rifle/Pistol, Smallbore Rifle/Pistol, Muzzleloading and Archery.
This is held at the Austin Rifle Club in Manor, which also has several oppurtunities for youth in several disciplines as well as numerous sanctioned competitions in Rifle and Pistol!
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Austin Rifle Club (which is located in Manor, just to the NE of Austin) has youth air rifle and pistol every Tues and Thurs night if I recall correctly.

-Jenrick
wahoowillie

Post by wahoowillie »

Thanks for the tips! I've passed it all along to my daughter who has since joined the forum. She opted to join the Burnet County 4H group which was much closer to where they live. The shooting coach there is Guy Taylor who has been terrific in nurturing my grandson's budding interest. I bought him a mint Walther LGM-2 Junior from a forum member in CA and it seems to bethe perfect starter.
NRA Life Member
txgunner00

Post by txgunner00 »

I haven't been on here in a while and I'm glad you have found a club. Burnet Co. is a good group.

Just to add to this thread... Williamson County 4-H Shooting Sports is another option. http://www.wc4hss.org. If they have any interest in action shooting we are also participating in SASP competitions in addition to 4-H events. The kids are really enjoying it