O-ring sizes for Crosman Challenger 2009

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

dukja

O-ring sizes for Crosman Challenger 2009

Post by dukja »

Hi,

I just got a Challenger and immediately it was out for exchange due to air tank leaking and other cosmetic issue. After some reading, it seems re-buiding it with O-ring is a commonly needed routine, which I don't mind. I knew that Archer Airgun sells the O-ring kit, but the cost ($16) + shipping ($8) is just not sensible. I wonder if someone may have the O-ring (looks like 4 types of O-ring) size (OD/ID/CS) and material info that one may purchase from professional mechanical part sources in a larger batch.

Thanks a lot!!
JPK

Re: O-ring sizes for Crosman Challenger 2009

Post by JPK »

You may just want to contact Crosman. I purchased a dozen o-rings for the t-handle handle straight from Crosman. I can't remember the price but it was very reasonable. I had to take the charging handles apart on our club guns to clean them because they first called for a moly grease then later changed to dry graphite.

Also keep in mind the kits from Archer are 2 complete kits with 5 different o-rings/seals. Ii can give you part numbers but they don't list the size.
dukja

Post by dukja »

Thanks for the note. I would like to get O-ring from my own source so that I can choose different material and durometer. With the same amount of money, one can get a lot more O-rings with different variety to try out for better durability and performance. :)

I already got some O-ring to try on, and will report back when I ever need to service my T-bolt.

BTW, did you say that dry graphite powder is a good replacement for the "moly grease"? I am not sure what "moly grease" is exactly (multiple products), but dry graphite power is a clear definition. Thanks!!
JPK

Post by JPK »

yep, rifles coming out one and half years ago called for moly graphite EP grease to be used on the t bolt. Our club got another challenger last April and the manual called for dry graphite powder. That started the process of being in contact to crosman for some detailed instructions or diagrams how to take the t bolt assemble apart to clean off grease before applying the dry graphite powder. Crosman was of NO help so i just took it apart and went for it. Actually pretty simple but there is a sequence to taken apart and putting back together without damaging the little o ring. went through 2 or 3 before i got it right.

Maybe you can report back on o-ring size replacements if they can be easily be purchased at hardware or auto part store.