Need Help Scoring USAS/NRA 50 targets for 4H Program

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Texdance

Need Help Scoring USAS/NRA 50 targets for 4H Program

Post by Texdance »

What is the correct way to score USA/NRA 50 rimfire targets fired at 50 feet?

Our tools currently include:
a ".22 inner Gauge", measures .2225, plus
an "Eagle Eye" scoring device, and a
several first quality magnifiers, up to 12x magnification.
We plan to buy a '.22 USAS Outward Gauge', hoping this will to complete our rimfire scoring set.

These targets to be scored are fired at 50 ft. distance, during official multi-county 4H Youth Shooting Sports 3-Position events. The students shoot both team and individual 3-position rimfire events; their ages are 8 through 18.

The targets we use are standard commercial targets available over the Internet, and marked:
USA/NRA 50
50 Foot Smallbore Rifle Target
(apparently they are also known as 'USAS/NRA' targets)

This batch of targets were purchased from the American Target Co., Denver, Colorado, sometime in 2013-14. They have the Official Competition seal of NRA printed on the lower left corner. See them at their website:
http://www.americantargetcompany.com/sm ... SAS_NRA_50

There is a lot of good info from Mr. Anderson of the CMP.org in his two articles ' A Primer on Scoring Gauges' and 'A Plea for Improved Scoring', but most of that information concerns scoring air rifle and air pistol targets.

However, the articles leave out any examples for scoring rimfire targets, and we do not shoot air rifle.

We would like to have some examples of rimfire target scoring using the '.22 USAS Outward Scoring Gauge' (we are trying to obtain one of these).

We would also like some examples of using the '.22 ISSF/USAS Inward Gauge'. Also, Mr. Anderson mentions targets with 1 and 2 rings; none of our USA/NRA 50 targets have rings smaller than a 3 value.

I hope I am not making my request for information too complicated.
Basically we will be shooting 4H 3-Position rimfire competition, using standard USA/NRA 50-foot paper targets, and at this time I am somewhat confused about what gauges to use and how to score the targets, especially those that score 9, 10 or the elusive 10x.

Thanks,

John Mustarde
RSO
Maxey Rifleman Gun Club
Lamar County, Texas
redschietti

Re: Need Help Scoring USAS/NRA 50 targets for 4H Program

Post by redschietti »

With an inward guage it must completly cover the dot in SB 50 ft. An outward guage is probably better and you use them like you read in the air rifle article. Even being very critical using guages scores are lower when using orion. Outward guages are available from 10.9 for a couple different 50ft targets. Shots outside the scoring rings are 0 even if the rings stop at 3.

The most important thing is to be consistant.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Look at the NRA rule book for explanation of how to score using an outward scoring gauge with the indoor metric USA/NRA-50 targets.

http://competitions.nra.org/documents/p ... r-book.pdf

Rule 14.3.(b)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

One of the reasons that I've pushed NM hard to use ORION is that whatever else, it is consistent.
We use it for AR, AP & Smallbore rifle at our state match.

Also, the paper used on ORION targets is light years better than the paper American uses.

(BTW ... I think it scores just fine ... you have to understand all the parameters of its' scoring ... DO NOT USE THE LINES - they are reference only)
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I presume orion is accurate. And that it makes clear that even the human mind in highly critical mode is generous.
Texdance

Post by Texdance »

Thanks for the replies. I will suggest to the gun club at the next annual meeting about getting Orion, though without electricity possible at our range we will have to score off site or drag along a generator.

Best I can tell from reading all the rules, there is no 'X' score possible using the USAS/NRA 50 target shot at 50 ft. Ten is the best manual scored value on that target - if anyone disagrees please let me know and tell me how to score an X on that target.

The NRA rules count X scores using the A-17 target at 50 ft., or the A-50 50-yard (meter?) target.

Thanks for the help, be glad for any additional input. Also its good to know Orion is reliable and repeatable.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

USAS 6.3.5

Inner Ten Scoring: The inward scoring gauge must be used to
determine inner 10’s. Any shot hole where the inner gauge
covers the 10 ring (dot) and does not exceed the outside edge
of the 8 ring is scored as an inner 10. It is not necessary to
score inner tens except if needed for tie breaking.
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

Texdance,
Check out this article from CMP, it should clear up any questions about "inward" and "outward" scoring. And what gauges to use on what targets.

Link>>>http://www.odcmp.org/0108/default.asp?p ... RINGGAUGES

Scott