silhoutte guns?? Crosman 1701??

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

bhollar

silhoutte guns?? Crosman 1701??

Post by bhollar »

My son is going to 4H nationals in air pistol this year. I'm somewhat new to air pistol. We are trying to get him something reasonably priced to shoot silhouette's with. He shoots slow fire with a avante 747. Does anyone know something about the Crosman 1701 Silhouette? Or a repeater for timed and rapid better than the cheap crosaman plastic revolver or spending $2300 on a steyr LP50.
I would appreciate any information I can get.
jhmartin

Re: silhoutte guns?? Crosman 1701??

Post by jhmartin »

We had a shooter many years ago win the air pistol shooting:
40 - Tau-7
RF - One of the Crosman Revolvers
SIL - Tau-7

One of my concerns with the 747 in silhouette is the velocity. even w/ light pellets ... have not tried that on the Rams ... may be OK.
The Crosman revolver still has a rifled barrel I think ... as long as you keep BBs out of it, it should shoot fine.

A note here --- the Rapid event has changed ... it is more like a USA Shooting 22 sport pistol event with turning targets ... check the event synopsis and look over the 7sec ready and 3sec fire times....

If you end up going a PCP route, use that in the 40 and silhouette as most shoot the heavier pellets just fine.
bhollar

Post by bhollar »

Thank you!!
As far as a silhouette pistol have you ever have any experience with the Crosman 1701P?? It is a pcp pistol.
If he uses the 747 for slow and the crosman revolver for timed and Rapid? Providing they still have it. He can shoot good scores with the revolver. It's just the silhouette that he really needs something is a little better. Last year at state he shot silhouettes with his crosman 757 revolver with a red dot. Did only OK.
I know at Nationals he will be shooting aganst kids with olympic quality pistols. I just what him to have a chance.

I looked at our state rules and it still shows timed and rapid?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Go here and look at the event synopsis for Nationals:
http://4h.unl.edu/4hssnationalchamp/rules-forms

It is not the same as the past Timed and Rapid event.
It is like the Rapid Fire stage in "Women's Sport Pistol" event in a USA Shooting event.

Why they are doing this, while it is fun, is kinda odd for an air pistol event. It will be confusing for most that show up as this has not been very well advertised, and I'll bet that most have not practiced or even seen it.

Here is a video of Teresa explaining the Womens Sport pistol event. Close attention to the Rapid fire stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcxB4x91JU

So ... they are doing an 8 stage process.
Each stage is 5 shots. So ... 40 shots total.
See page 8 of the Nationals event synopsis for this procedure.

Basically you have a 3 sec period where targets are displayed to the shooter where they can fire ... then 7 sec where the targets are "turned away" from them. On many ranges they use lights now ... green during the firing part of the stage & red for the "turned - no fire part"

Anyone know if this is the first year for this? I did not see or read the entire synopsis last year.

If you have any other questions ... ASK! There are a few of us who have the materials to do this. It is not very common. I have a video of a single stage of the Rapid from our JO's this year. I can convert, upload & post a link if it would be helpful.

While you may not have a turning setup or even lights, you could train with "red" and "green" calls.
Last edited by jhmartin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

With regards to the 1701 ... no experience at all with it, but it looks like it will do the job for sure.
Not all that expensive either.
Now, it says upto 450fps, but it does not say with what type of pellet, but even a light pistol pellet show knock off a ram at that speed.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Oh my ... after really looking at the procedures, this is a pretty "corrupted" form of "rapid" sport pistol.
The 20 sec reload time kinda makes the "rapid" word a misnomer.

Oh, and I see the slow fire event now has a final, as does the air rifle.
I guess trying to cram in all the excitement they can in 1 day.

The good news in all this, is that if a pistol fits in the box, it can be used in all the events.
So ... the higher the quality of pistol (accurate) the better.

From my perspective, the bad news here is having 4-H make up a pull it out of your hat set of events
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

bhollar wrote:have you ever have any experience with the Crosman 1701P?? It is a pcp pistol.
We just picked up 4 of these thanks to a FNRA grant. They certainly are prettier and more mechanically refined than the 717's that we have. I am hoping that there is a reasonable trigger upgrade that we can perform. The factory trigger feels like a four stage trigger. Not great. But I am still hopeful that these will be a worthy addition.