Chattanooga Shooting

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Rhyno

Chattanooga Shooting

Post by Rhyno »

Hello all,

My collegiate shooting career is about to be over and I am trying everything I can to continue shooting and coaching. That being said, I feel like I am called to be a teacher in my profession and I would love to translate that into shooting. My one concern is that I am moving to Chattanooga, TN to live with my new wife and I have no idea what the shooting environment is like down there. Do any of you know of any shooting teams, or are a part of any, that are around that area??

Thank you so much!
Ryan
Jimro

Re: Chattanooga Shooting

Post by Jimro »

I'd start here: http://www.chattanoogarifleclub.org/

Last time I was shooting in the Chattanooga area was an Appleseed event a few years back. Earned the "Rifleman" Patch with a bolt action 22 (232 out of 250 points possible on the scaled qual targets at 25), which shouldn't be a challenge for anyone used to smallbore but was a lot of fun.

Jimro
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Hello Ryan,
There are a couple of options at the Chattanooga club. There is a smallbore prone contingent and also a CMP rimfire sporter group. I am part of the smallbore prone group, which consists of some of the best NRA prone shooters in the country. We pull guys from Nashville(me), Knoxville, Georgia, Alabama and parts in between.
We start shooting the first weekend of each month starting in March.
http://www.chattanoogarifleclub.org/calender.html
Regarding coaching, I can't speak to what might be available. I am an assistant coach for a HS 3PAR team in Nashville, but I do that to give back to the shooting sports. I suspect there are some schools in the Chattanooga area that have sporter and precision teams that might love to have a helping hand. Which might lead to something even better.

The matches each month are 1600 prone matches. We use them as training matches for the State Championship at the end of April (Oak Ridge TN, about 70 miles north) and the National matches in Bristol IN. Another fairly close option is the River Bend Gun Club near Dawsonville Ga. They run monthly matches and is the home of the Blackhawk open that is run by the Blackhawk Rifle club over the memorial day weekend. Many of the AMU shooters come up to RBC for there matches and the Blackhawk.
I hope to see you there. PM me if you want more details on the shooting scene in TN.
Mike Carter
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

I have seen a lot of stuff for that range! Unfortunately, I am probable going to need to sell one of my rifles to help with money, and my air rifle is my baby.

I would love to come shoot there sometime before it gets sold, though!