Electronic Scoring Systems for Short Shooters HELP!?!

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

gmucha

Electronic Scoring Systems for Short Shooters HELP!?!

Post by gmucha »

I am a newbie to high level completitions...

My daughter just made High School State Finals for 10 meter air rifle held at West Point Military Academy. Locally, they only shoot paper targets at their appropriate standing heights. The Academy uses the Elite Scoring System at the set height if 1.5 meters (appx 4'6"). She is only 4'9" and during offhand, her barrel height is about 4'2". Therefor she would be shooting uphill.

Are there any provisions for shorter shooters in competition? She wears shooting boots. Can we build up the soles to make lifts? This might be a really dumb question, but can she shoot off a platform?

Thank you so much,

Glenn
Shooter

Re: Electronic Scoring Systems for Short Shooters HELP!?!

Post by Shooter »

No to your questions. Not allowed in a match. The only thing you and she can do is to adjust the butt plate so that the muzzle is pointing higher than usual and get some practice at the competition height. Good luck but keep her going and keep her interested. She will overcome. Don in Oregon
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Key is hang a single bull target at the right height. Get npa corrrct by moving butplate or forend if possible. Keep in mind the rules. Dont change foot position unless absalutly necessasary! Lesson learned.. There is only one correct height.. The one they have set for matches! I dont know who came up with appropriate height, but they are doing you and others a diservice. Good luck!! If you fix it now it wont be any impedament!! :)
gmucha

Post by gmucha »

Thanks for the help. We will figure it out.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Therefor she would be shooting uphill.
Yup, & real tall shooter fire downhill.
at the set height if 1.5 meters
I would be very surprised if the USMA targets were not at 1.4m (the specified height in the rules).
That is right at 55 inches (55.1 actually).
In 10m air none of the heights (either in 3-P or International styles) are adjustable for the shooter.

The key is to practice & train at targets at the correct height, then a few smudges in either direction are not a huge deal. Even in Sporter Air training to move the buttplate in their shoulder a little higher or lower is a very good idea.

(Now if she ever shoots smallbore, in college they use the same 3-P heights, but on the 50m ranges the heights of the targets vary quit a bit. Lots of threads on TT about the different heights between Benning and the OTC)