Undergarmets

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

COBelties

Undergarmets

Post by COBelties »

Can jeans be worn under trousers legally in USA Shooting rules? I'm looking at:

7.5.7 Underclothing
Clothing worn under the shooting jacket must not be thicker than 2.5mm single thickness or 5mm double thickness. The same applies to all clothing worn under the trousers.
Only normal personal undergarments and/or training clothing that does not immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the
athlete’s legs, body or arms maybe worn under the shooting jacket and/or trousers. Any other undergarments are prohibited.

Jeans do not immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of legs do they?

Thanks.
PCU

Re: Undergarmets

Post by PCU »

Jeans are not normal personal undergarments or training clothing so jeans are not permitted under the shooting trousers.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Understood but that is generalization and assumptive.

Where is it defined? I would say that I have a junior shooter that practices everyday with her jeans on under her shooting pants (shes shy and doesnt like dressing in front of others) and that it is part of her training clothes since she trains that way regularly. Not trying to be a devils advocate but I know how much a stickler for the rule books people can be and typically common sense does not exist within it.
PCU

Post by PCU »

I don't know any shooting rules or equipment control guides that specifically define them. The terms normal personal undergarments or training clothing are pretty clear to most folks unless they are trying to circumvent the intent of the rules.
If by chance you are in a competition using the National Standard 3P Air Rifle Rules, then it gets easy to understand because 4.6.3 includes "Jeans and ordinary trousers may not be worn under the shooting pants."
Sweat pants would be an easy & cheap way for her to meet the intent of the ISSF/USAS rules.
triggerhappy

Post by triggerhappy »

my daughter was also modest, at first, now she doesn't really care. once your shooter realizes that everyone dresses this way and it is totally normal to see all these others running around in their "under wear" getting ready, then maybe that will help with her bashfulness. in the meantime, there are usually plenty of rest rooms to change in.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Well I have 8-9 shooters on my advanced team and about half are young ladies.
most use underarmor type spandex.
it is legal to have one pair of trousers whether it be jeans or shooting pants.
undergarments can vary wildly.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If your youth are also shooting CMP 3-P air, Rule 4.6.3 specifically prohibits jeans under the shooting trousers.

In ISSF - NOT ALLOWED (my underlining follows).... Rule 6.19.2.7 .... Prohibited clothing items for competitions and award ceremonies include blue jeans, jeans or similar trousers in non-sporting colors, camouflage clothing, sleeveless T-shirts, shorts that are too short (see Rule 6.7.6.1, not more than 15 cm above the center of the knee), ragged cut-off shorts, all types of sandals, trousers with patches or holes as well as shirts or trousers with non-sporting or inappropriate messages (See Rule 6.12.1, no propaganda). You're not even supposed to go into the range with them on.

Whoa you say! ... But go to USAS rules - USAS 6.19.2.6 - In USA Shooting sanctioned competitions, blue jeans are allowed during competition. All other clothing rules will be observed by participating athletes.

The reason I mention all this is that I think it is a good idea not to confuse the shooters who may not pay as close attention to the all the different rules as a coach should (even though they are responsible for knowing them).

As much as you can, train them for the same circumstances, the toughest rules ... Have them get an inexpensive pair of spandex, cool gear or heatgear as appropriate.
Maxicooper

Post by Maxicooper »

jhmartin wrote: The reason I mention all this is that I think it is a good idea not to confuse the shooters who may not pay as close attention to the all the different rules as a coach should (even though they are responsible for knowing them).

As much as you can, train them for the same circumstances, the toughest rules ... Have them get an inexpensive pair of spandex, cool gear or heatgear as appropriate.
Totally agree!