help with Crosman Challenger 2009 butt plate

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

pcw

help with Crosman Challenger 2009 butt plate

Post by pcw »

Hey Guys,
I have a challenger I shoot in my basement. In general I've been very happy with it. Now I want to upgrade the butt plate (I'm not shooting sporter class). The adjustable butt plate moves on 1 central shaft and when the butt is extended, it moves on me. I'm willing to modify the stock some how if it produces a sturdier butt. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make up a new one. Any suggestions are welcome.
Pat McCoy

Re: help with Crosman Challenger 2009 butt plate

Post by Pat McCoy »

If the adjustment of the butt extension is enough for your use, you may just want to "roughen" the steel shaft. Sandpaper? File? Electric vibratory engraver?
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

If torquing down the bolts doesn't fix the issue, then the above suggestion of roughing up the rod with sandpaper is a good place to start. Another thing to do would be use some peel and stick address labels and put them on the rod to increase the lateral thickness to give the stock a better grip.

If none of that works, you can always go the full custom route: http://www.graco-corp.com/t/gracoil

Hope this is helpful.
abinok

Post by abinok »

The 4 way adjustable butt plate is a drop in on the CH2009. I was using it for precision as well as my smallbore rifle. Its a fantastic product. You might, ask, but ill bet the 3 way uses the same diameter shaft as the 4 way, if you don't need the ability to offset the buttplate to the side.
http://www.masterclassstocks.com/accessories.html
pcw

Post by pcw »

Wow, that is nice the way that butt plate just drops in to the stock. I primarily train for biathlon, so I want a butt plate like on a biathlon rifle, long with a small hook. What I have done temporarily is to "Smalserized" by adding a 3/4 " piece of wood to the butt and took the carrier clamp off my biathlon rifle and screwed it to the block and now have my biathlon butt plate on the rifle. I have put an add in Buy and Sell looking for another carrier clamp and butt plate carrier so i don't have to swap them out in the future, especially because the settings are diffrent. I also made a new cheek piece. I'm much happier with it now.

Cheers, Philip
Andre

Post by Andre »

The stock adjustment is a pitfall in the 2009 rifle. You can fix your problem with the stock slipping in by measuring the gap from rear of butt to front of butt plate, and cut a piece of 3/4" pipe to that length and slip it over the rod, no more collapsing.