Smallbore Sitting Poistion

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

abrasivereshaping

Smallbore Sitting Poistion

Post by abrasivereshaping »

Hi all!

I have a question about the sitting position Jr. Smallbore. We have a shooter that cannot cross her legs in the normal left over right. She complains of discomfort and pain in the kneecap and hamstrings. However when she crosses them over right over left, all is good. What should we do? 1 coach has told her that if she doesn't do it proper her scores will never be and that she will adjust to the discomfort in time. I don't think this is right but please correct me.

Thanks in advance!
Shooter

Re: Smallbore Sitting Poistion

Post by Shooter »

I agree that if the position is not correct, she probably will not get real great scores in the future. One suggestion is to do it left over right and then pull the feet up close to the body in the "taylor"? position I think it's called. This might ease the pain she feels. Also, one of the local girls would just put her feet flat on the floor with the knees up in the air and shoot that way, even though it was very unstable, but she shot great sitting scores, so keep trying different things and see what works for her. Some stretching and/or heat to the muscles and ligaments might help, too. But, she should keep trying to get into the right position. Don in Oregon
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I firmly believe that in precision "everything matters!" Pain is not a good thing.

Anybody, in anything, that believes there is only one way to do things has been around too long or not long enough.

My shooters shoot kneeling twice in 4P, as learning sitting is a waste of time in my opinion.
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

I'm not a smallbore shooter (yet!), but sitting is my best event in High Power so I'll comment.

The reason we cross left over right is to raise the left elbow and arm up high enough for proper NPOA. If she's flexible enough to lean over and get a good NPOA without the height advantage, I wouldn't worry. Is she developing a stable enough position?

In High Power we have three versions of the sitting position (crossed-legged, crossed-ankle, and open-legged) to accommodate the inflexible (or overweight). Perhaps another version would work.

AMU's (via CMP) take on the cross-ankle sitting position:
http://www.odcmp.org/0307/?page=USAMU_CASITTING
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You may also want to try using a palm block (as in standing) to get enough height without causing undue pain.

Shooting the next most difficult position is only available to those who have a temporary physical problem and a doctors letter.(NRA Smallbore Rule 13.2)
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

Pat McCoy wrote:You may also want to try using a palm block (as in standing) to get enough height without causing undue pain.
Good point, as a Service Rifle shooter I didn't think about that. Definitely an option for smallbore, though. It may add to the inconsistency however, unless you incorporate a handstop or even a notch/marker to the riser to give the shooter a consistent hand placement reference on the riser.
Shooting the next most difficult position is only available to those who have a temporary physical problem and a doctors letter.(NRA Smallbore Rule 13.2)
Some local matches may not strictly enforce this. I've heard quite a few stories of High Power shooters going to smallbore and shooting a second offhand stage instead of kneeling.