practice ammo

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jmlpa

practice ammo

Post by jmlpa »

We normally use CCI sv , but we cannot get a supply for practice.
The following is available locally, I am not sure if it is worth using? WE shoot mostly Anschutz 1903 .
Magtech 22lr 40gr Stand Vel
Fed 22lr Auto Match HV
A family that shoots together stays together
bdutton

Re: practice ammo

Post by bdutton »

jmlpa wrote:We normally use CCI sv , but we cannot get a supply for practice.
The following is available locally, I am not sure if it is worth using? WE shoot mostly Anschutz 1903 .
Magtech 22lr 40gr Stand Vel
Fed 22lr Auto Match HV
Depends on your skill level and affordability. I never buy locally for 2 reasons.

1. Its more expensive than buying bulk on line.
2. Selves are empty!

Champions Choice, Champions Shooter Supply, Graf and Sons, Killough Shooting Sports are reliable sources of .22lr ammo online. Be prepared to pay around $600 a case for ammo now (60+ a brick).

However, If the Magtech and Fed is cheaper than that and available... go for it but it probably doesn't perform as well as Eley Target or Jagd SK (or Norma TAC for that matter). Just make sure its 40g lead round nose.
jmlpa

Post by jmlpa »

LGS has magtech 6.00 per hundred. I am trying to get better ammo elsewhere. Thanks. They have 10000 rnds in stock.
A family that shoots together stays together
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Norma Tac-22 for $5.40 per box of 50, so $540 per case plus shipping. It's RWS Target in a different box and shoots great for my two daughters out of their Achiever and 1903 rifles. One of the best things about it is that it's actually available at several places.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... _50_Rounds
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Be very wary of using two types of ammo, one 'practice' the other 'competition'. It's a bad practice as shooters tend to blame the poor ammo for errors in training, and then get over excited (anxious) when they pull out the special 'competiton' ammo for the matches. It's far better to get a consistent, reasonable ammo and use it for everything.

Rob.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

RobStubbs wrote:Be very wary of using two types of ammo, one 'practice' the other 'competition'. It's a bad practice as shooters tend to blame the poor ammo for errors in training, and then get over excited (anxious) when they pull out the special 'competiton' ammo for the matches. It's far better to get a consistent, reasonable ammo and use it for everything.

Rob.
^^ This may not seem true at first glance (I didn't think so at lease), but this can make a huge difference.