"Decent" air pistol (Daisy 747) for small shooter?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

topshot

"Decent" air pistol (Daisy 747) for small shooter?

Post by topshot »

I have an old 747 but it is way too heavy for my son (50" tall and 50 pounds) to hold even with 2 hands. He currently shoots it off a rest.

What else might be out there with similar accuracy that is lighter and not CO2 or PCP? SSP would be ideal. Prefer not spring piston. It should also either come in LH model or not be difficult to use LH. Budget is < $300.
Eurastus

Re: "Decent" air pistol (Daisy 747) for small shoo

Post by Eurastus »

topshot wrote:I have an old 747 but it is way too heavy for my son (50" tall and 50 pounds) to hold even with 2 hands. He currently shoots it off a rest.

What else might be out there with similar accuracy that is lighter and not CO2 or PCP? SSP would be ideal. Prefer not spring piston. It should also either come in LH model or not be difficult to use LH. Budget is < $300.
When my boys were young, they used a TAU 7 Jr pistol. http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sptau7jr.htm

It's CO2 powered, but uses the 12 gram Powerlets you can buy anywhere: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-12g-C ... t/16662954

Great pistol for the smaller shooter. All SSP pistols I've shot require more cocking force than any 50 lbs kid I've ever met can safely muster for more than a few shots. The TAU 7 Jr is easy to load, cock, and shoot. Trigger is surprisingly decent for the price range.

Ours came with an ambidextrous grip, we added a non-adjustable right handed grip when their hands grew a bit.

I think we paid under $300 for it, new, though that was a few years ago. They're not exactly easy to find now, so grab one up if you see one for sale.

I think this is by far the best of the smaller-gripped air pistols for pre-teens and very small handed youth to shoot.
motorcycle_dan

Re: "Decent" air pistol (Daisy 747) for small shooter?

Post by motorcycle_dan »

+1 on the Tau-7 Jr. I run an air pistol league for juniors and that is my go to choice for the smaller framed. Crossman 2300 also has a small grip but not nearly as well refined as the Tau. Many people buying and modifying the 2300 though. shorter barrel, better triggers, better sights. If you are mechanically inclined they can be worked to shoot great, that is my second choice for smaller frame shooters.
bam86

Re: "Decent" air pistol (Daisy 747) for small shooter?

Post by bam86 »

There is currently a Tau 7 on the Buy, Sell, Trade board. I think it is priced at $300. Probably a good deal. In addition to the 12gram cylinders, you can also bulk fill it for a few more shots, and it is a little cheaper to shoot that way. Good pistol, but not sure about finding Left Hand grips.

Enjoy.