Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

ankur yadav

practice to be a perfect shooter

Post by ankur yadav »

dear sir

i am new in this sport.
i want to know how and how much i have
to practice to be olympics level shooter.
any other tips regarding this topic will be appreciated.
thanks.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It's not so much practice but effective training that matters. Most successful shooters are full time shooting athletes so that will give you a pointer.

I'd suggest first step is to find a good coach.

Rob.
md123180

Post by md123180 »

RobStubbs wrote:It's not so much practice but effective training that matters. Most successful shooters are full time shooting athletes so that will give you a pointer.

I'd suggest first step is to find a good coach.

Rob.
I second this wholeheartedly. Practice is what keeps your skills, training is what improves them. Yeah, I'm splitting hairs, but it's an important hair to split. (By the way, you didn't mention which sport you were interested in, unless I missed it.)

First, I must mention that 'becoming' an Olympic level shooter is not without cost. These people obsess about perfection in every shot, dedicate their lives to the sport. DRIVE will get you everywhere, and you need to have it. Drive is what makes the difference between hobby and sport. You need to wake up surprised each morning that there isn't an Olympic gold hanging around your neck that day.

How much to practice is a question without answer. I could give you every drill that I give to any of my shooters, and none of them may work. You could Google one article, and everything clicks. It's all between you and... well... you... I will tell you that a coach will help you speed up the process, provided that you find someone that works well with you. Can you go it alone? Yes, you can. A coach is someone who is there, keeping you on your path to greatness.

To gauge anything, though, it's helpful to know what your experience level is, what you're willing to dedicate, and how hard you want to work. At the minimum, I can tell you that it will be 6 years before you set foot on an Olympic firing line. It's what you do with those 6 years that makes the difference. You can get there, and it's all up to you.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
breakfastchef

Post by breakfastchef »

I had a biology teacher in high school once say that practice does not make perfect, rather, perfect practice makes perfect. Would this analogy carry over to the discussion about practice? Seems to me if you practice poor technique, you hit a wall at some point. I like the idea of a coach for those willing to dedicate themselves to achieve the highest level.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Time, how long is a piece of string? Probably the better part of 4 years for your 'apprenticeship'.
By 5-8 years you probably have figured out enough skill to be a master.

---------------------------------------------------

Some things might help to accelerate this:

* Good peer environment - a competitive environment.
* Good coach
* Good equipment
* Good facilities
* Good work ethic - twice a week for an hour at a time won't cut it.
* Patience - don't quit.

Good luck.
SWirtjes

Re: practice to be a perfect shooter

Post by SWirtjes »

It might be easy to be a 'Good Shooter' however, this is not the case to be an Olympic Type Competitor. This is not simply the practice time that makes you nearly perfect. This sport is goes beyond the physical level and is 90% MENTAL! If you want a quick way to "Get Rich" and become a perfect athlete, learn how to position your body, make adjustments and learn the movements.

If you are going to dedicate yourself to being an Olympic competitor, you need to THINK.

Once you know the basics, practice is almost the best thing you can work on. The Absolute best way to get yourself to where you want to be is to have faith in yourself you can get there.You will also need to acquire the equipment to get you to to the Olympic level. (This will obviously cost a bit of $$$$) Having confidence mentally and physically, along with support from others in the shooting community can get you even further.

Step 1: Be a good, honest, wholehearted person with integrity and dedication.
Step 2: Find a coach that can address your ambitious goals.
Step 3: Practice, Compete, Enjoy the Simple things.

You asked a blanket question that has answers beyond what you'll find here on the cyberspace.

Now if you are looking for new and different shooting activities to practice that focus on a specific part of your shot plan/ Match plan that's a different situation.

Either way: Get involved in the community around you. Face to face communication/ coaching will help you most.