Air pistol competation. Are air pistols still used?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

bountybuddy

Air pistol competation. Are air pistols still used?

Post by bountybuddy »

I wanted to buy the Daisy 753 or 853 CM. I just learned that few air pump rifles are used in competition any more which is very bad news for me. I really don't care for the PCP air rifles. Another option for me would be air pistol competition. Please tell me if air pump pistols are still being used in competition?

When I saw the Daisy Avanti 747 Triumph Match I liked it. After reading more about it I liked it more. That was until I saw the IZH 46M. After reading about that I fell in love with it. The question is, is the IZH 46M still being used in competition? I'm sure it would be as much fun to use as the the air rifles.

Can someone tell me where a good place to buy the IZH 46M in America?

Do I need special permits to buy the IZH 46M? Or can I just send a money order or certified check and buy it?

Thank you very much for your help. Shoot well my friends.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think you need a permit to buy a air pistol in Mich. On the other hand, I doubt that anyone elsewhere gives a damn and would happily mail you one.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Even though I had never shot the pump rifles in competition, I'm not sure there has really been any significant accuracy improvements in the last few decades for the average shooter. Not sure the the models you mentioned are match accurate at all. A FWB 601 in the $600 range can probably find a lot of pellets that will give the same group as a FWB 800 for $3600. Just the effort and time to cock the gun would be a pain and I'm sure would affect your ability to shoot center shots over the course of a match. Same probably holds true with an air pistol but not to the same extent of effort. Even I understand the 46 can be just as accurate as the latest and greatest pcp.
bountybuddy

Rover and USMC0802

Post by bountybuddy »

Rover, I'll check with the Michigan State Police as soon as my wife and I get back to Michigan. I think that is all I can do. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

USMC0802, I have thought about having to pump the air rifle and the problems it could cause for me. I hate to say it but I really doubt if I'm up to the task. A PCP air rifle would be so much easier. I'll have to wait and see. I'm also thinking about buying the Daisy Avanti 717 Match air pistol instead of the IZH 46M. Pumping either should be quite easy. I'll just have to practice longer. I was in Danang, Vietnam in 1968 the same time Carlos Hathcock was but I'm sorry to say I never had the pleasure of meeting him. Carlos Hathcock is one of my heroes. Shoot well my friends. Talk to you later.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

I had the pleasure to meet Carlos back around 94 at a private battalion dinner. Not sure I undsterstood the magnatude of his legend at the time.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

BountyBuddy,

If you are looking at the Daisy 717, I would really suggest going up a notch to the 747. The barrel is better, and from what I remember, the trigger is better. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. If you are looking at air pistol competition though, you would be better going with the IZH-46M.

The daisy models tend to be a lot more front heavy, and the grip just isn't as comfortable as the IZH. Plus the adjustable shelf on the IZH makes it a lot better to hold.

Pumping force for either should not be a problem, unless you have a lot of arthritis in your wrists.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Pump rifles and pistols are still used in competition.
But most people do not use them. This is probably because of the physical effort to charge the gun is extra effort expended during a match that might take away from stability.
But heck, bring what you got and shoot what you bring.
We can't all afford $2,000 air pistols...I can't.
Rover

Post by Rover »

All the single stroke pneumatic pistols are so easy to cock that it isn't worth mentioning. There are people who have read this on the 'net and believe it to be exhausting, though. I think it's all part of the pussyfication of America.

Since this is a youth forum, I guess a little exercise will be good for the kids.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

I help run a youth air pistol group in NJ. We have a mix of pistols: club owned IZH-46 and 46M and a few Alpha Proj Air Arms guns. Individuals bring their own Steyr, Walther and Pardini pistols. The kids (young teens) that shoot the IZH guns can hold their own with any of the others. One of our youngest, a ten year old girl, has to rest a bit after ten shots with the Izzy, but that's about it. She usually shoots an Alpha Proj.