CMP College Scholarship Award

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Texdance

CMP College Scholarship Award

Post by Texdance »

One of the high points of my short two-year tenure as a 4H Rifle Program coach came Saturday. I received an official letter from CMP, and much to my surprise the letter said one of my students had been awarded a $1000 CMP college scholarship. I was very excited. The young shooter and family were excited as well when they learned of the CMP scholarship award. It will be most helpful applied to their first year college expenses.

I wrote the nomination letter for the student, keeping it short but making sure the accomplishments were well presented. I had hopes, but not high hopes. Students nowadays have to apply for financial aid wherever available, and hope that grants and scholarships will ease their college debt burden.

The CMP scholarship award letter came as a very pleasant surprise to me. I know our student was deserving of such, but I thought the more successful youth shooters who advanced to state and regional and even national competitions would naturally win. Apparently the CMP awards scholarships to deserving students even if they are from small programs of modest success.

My thanks to the CMP for providing substantial college scholarships across the nation. The Civilian Marksmanship Program awards 150 scholarships nationally in the amount of $1000 to certain graduating seniors for the purpose of continuing their education to college and in some cases trade school or similar. No doubt the CMP preserves and advances the shooting sports in a way few can match.