2014 USAS NJOSC - Match Director UPDATE #1 - IMPORTANT

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

2014 USAS NJOSC - Match Director UPDATE #1 - IMPORTANT

Post by jhmartin »

--> http://www.usashooting.org/library/Comp ... lletin.pdf

Of Note:
A- Since using USAS selection match scoring in the finals, the placings in the finals may not necessarily be the the same placings of the match overall results. (Same as Nationals last year)

B- Men's rifle is shooting AIR and 3-P only - no prone event.

TEXT:
======================
In order to align the Junior Olympic Championships with the USA National Championships, we will be using the same athlete ranking system we have used in major competitions since May 2013. This system recognizes that with the new ISSF Rules for 2014, measuring an athlete’s ability in both the qualification match and finals match are critical in identifying the top performers.

Athlete ranking will be determined as follows:
Qualification 1 + Qualification 2 + Points for Finish in the Finals = Total points for ranking athletes
Finals Points:
After Finals Events and Points for Ranking
Place- 3P,AR,AP,SP,FP- RFP
1st- 8- 6
2nd- 7- 5
3rd- 6- 4
4th- 5- 3
5th- 4- 2
6th- 3- 1
7th- 2
8th- 1

Rule/Competition Adjustment items:

1. Air Rifle events will be scored in the decimal format.

2. Men’s 40-60-40 has been changed to a pure ISSF 40-40-40 (KN-PR-ST). We had to drop the 20
additional shots for a Prone 60 due to the two standards by ISSF for prone shooting. Pants cannot be used in the Prone 60, but can be used in the 3x40. It is now impossible to combine the two events. It is not possible to schedule a separate 60 shot Prone match during the JOSC. Men will compete in two events: 3 Position and Air Rifle.

Effective 2/19.
Tyler Anderson
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Thanks - the elimination of the prone is really sad I know William was looking forwards to it. Interesting the RMRC was shot 49-60-40 this year without issue.
dand

Post by dand »

Does "athlete ranking" mean for awards? In the past it hasn't. Actually in the past this ranking system is seldom shown. Awards are based on the finals match and members selected by way of this system are listed but not ranked. It can, and most likely will, be argued both ways. I suggest winning both days and the final then nobody can take anything away from you.

I also notice that the scheduled start time do not include the 15 min. prep and sighting time as they have at the recent national matches.

Dan
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

dand wrote:Does "athlete ranking" mean for awards? In the past it hasn't. Dan
Yes, this includes awards, and was indeed used at the US Nationals last year, and has also been the method for selections since last May.

RE: Prep & Sighter time... I'll send a note to Tyler, there's enough extra in the schedules to accommodate. <done>
shooter'sdad

Post by shooter'sdad »

Joel, will the finals be fired as an elimination final?
Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

shooter'sdad wrote:Joel, will the finals be fired as an elimination final?
Yes ... both women & men will fire the ISSF elimination final in both air & 3P.

The placing in the final will determine the "Finals Points" (8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1) added to their two qualification scores (D1 & D2) for the overall event points.

3-P Example: Day 1 - 575 || Day 2 - 576 || 5th in Final - 4 ... total overall event points = 1155

============
RE: Prep & sighters .... Tyler noted that at the bottom of the schedules in red is a note about changeover & prep & sighter periods.
The way to interpret it is to take the time in the schedule and back up 30 minutes. That will be when the shooters are allowed to enter ... 15 minutes before the "START" time, the prep & sighter period will begin
Abi

Post by Abi »

Thanks for the updates Joel.
ToddMay

No men's prone?

Post by ToddMay »

So what does that do to the two National Junior Team spots that will not be available to earn by placing 1st or 2nd?
TNRifleman

Post by TNRifleman »

Yea what does that mean for the two National Junior Team spots? Also this type of program change should have been emailed to the participants. The prone event can be done with out issue. Very disapointed
jhmartin

Re: No men's prone?

Post by jhmartin »

ToddMay wrote:So what does that do to the two National Junior Team spots that will not be available to earn by placing 1st or 2nd?
The four team slots - 2 Women & 2 Men are still to be awarded at JOs ... just as they were last year at the USASNC.

The 1st and 2nd place shooters will be selected by D1+D2+"Finals Points" where "Finals Points" are the 8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 awarded for placement in the finals. i.e. 1st place & 2nd place in the final DOES NOT necessarily win the NJT slot. It is entirely possible to have a shooter go into the final with enough of a points buffer (i.e.8) to be eliminated early in the final and still win the event.
The key point here is 1st & 2nd in the final is NOT NECESSARILY 1st & 2nd in the event, and the slots are awarded off the event score.
TNRifleman wrote:Also this type of program change should have been emailed to the participants. The prone event can be done with out issue.
All participants in the JOs should be continuously monitoring this web page:
http://www.usashooting.org/7-events/njosc
The Match director bulletin(s) will be posted there. The bulletin(s) can be posted during the competitions as well as spots in the range.

I can sort of see USA Shooting view of the elimination of the prone event. In the JOs it is possible to set National Records ... to have one set of rules at the JOs (pants allowed) and another at USASNCs (pants not allowed) ... note the 2 prone mens NJT slots are awarded at USASNCs ... hosting a separate event for just prone is not in the works this year due to the scheduling issues ... they would have to add another day or two to the mens schedule ...
I'd say maybe in the future if enough shooters comment positively on it ... someone should bring it up in the competitor meeting and ask if there are enough that would be interested in staying that long ... remember, mens rifle is an entire week ... how many kids can take that much more time off school (like 10-11 days if you include travel)?
TNRifleman

Post by TNRifleman »

Yes I am aware they should monitor the page and posted this on my team page several days ago.