CMP is selling IZH-60 Target Pro, a new sportster rifle?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

GaryN

CMP is selling IZH-60 Target Pro, a new sportster rifle?

Post by GaryN »

Is the IZH-60 now listed on the approved rifles list for Sportster rifles?

While the IZH-60 is cheaper than a new Daisy 853, a CMP used 853 is even cheaper, and would seem a better buy.

Aside from the price, why would someone shoot a spring rifle, when competing against SSP rifles like the 853/753 and the co2 888/887?
I have both an IZH-60 and an 853, and the 853 is for me the easiest to shoot accurately, because it does not vibrate/recoil when fired like the IZH-60 does.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

That is under the "MISC AIR RIFLES" part of the sales site.

As far as I know, that is NOT an approved Sporter air rifle. (i.e. it has not shown up as a change in the rulebook)

You could bring it into a match, however it would have to shoot under the precision category as the trigger pull is listed at 1.4lbs ... below the 1.5 required for sporter ... as well as not being in the approved sporter list.

In addition to the side cocking, it does not have a rail, so in my opinion it would be a very poor 3-P competion rifle.
(Even a used 853/953 type rifle is a poor choice for 3-P due to the cocking contortions shooters have to go thru in prone)

An inexpensive, off the bench, early training rifle is as far as I'd go.

Another thought would be to see how well it shoots out to 50 yards and if good it might make a decent air silhouette rifle .... BUT the 490fps will make it a tough rifle to use if there is any wind (not a worry in the next few years for 4-H as air silhouette will be indoors at Nationals)

Also, if you go on the Pyramid Air website and look at the reviews, the best group mentioned is dime sized at 10m ... if that's what it is, then my above "off the bench, early training rifle applies ... no more than that