Need Help...Youth 10 Meter Pistol

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

HORSEMOVER

Need Help...Youth 10 Meter Pistol

Post by HORSEMOVER »

I am looking for a pistol for my daughter for Pony Club Tetrathlon. She has used a Aeron Chameleon in the past. I can't seem to locate a Tau 7 Jr. which would be ideal. Any others to look at that are smaller frame and available without breaking the bank?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you can help pump it, how about a Daisy 717 or 747?
HORSEMOVER

Post by HORSEMOVER »

jhmartin wrote:If you can help pump it, how about a Daisy 717 or 747?
I have heard mixed reviews. Many are suggesting the Crossman 2300. Custom Shop seems to be the way to go on that one. Do you have any experience with the Daisy?
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

We use the 2300S and 2300T in our program along with Tau 7 Juniors. The custom shop is good, but if you want to go straight off the rack so to speak I would use their EASY program if you can and buy the kit. That usually saves quite a bit.

I do have a hard time with the 2300 being a bit temperamental in hot temperatures (like 105+). When we travel to ranges in the desert or desert climates we usually store them in cool bags with blue ice to keep the seals, pellets and cartridges even keeled.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

Wanted to chime in about the Daisy 747. Excellent cheap pistol although price has gone up a lot in last few years. Accuracy is good and sights are clear an repeatable. For smaller frames it may not best if shooting one handed. It tends to be quite muzzle heavy. It is SSP, so there is some effort in cocking the pistol for each shot.

A lot of folks at our club use them for IHMSA Air Pistol shooting. From prone position it is a dandy. In that event scopes are allowed and in standing everyone uses a two hand hold for more stability so the muzzle heavy isn't an issue. One hand on grip, one hand on the scope.

Hope this helps a little, but it looks like you have already settled on the Tau 7.
HORSEMOVER

Post by HORSEMOVER »

Thanks for the replies. I have some time so I am exploring different options but would like to keep her shooting over the winter. This coming year she will be competing one handed.
HORSEMOVER

Post by HORSEMOVER »

It looks like you can get a Crossman 2300 custom with wood target grip & trigger shoe for about the same cost as the 2300S. I'm going to give it a bit more time but that looks like sound 2nd option. We still have the Aeron Chamelon club gun that she can shoot for a few weeks while I continue to search.
motorcycle_dan

Small hands air pistol

Post by motorcycle_dan »

I too run a youth league. The Tau 7 Junior is really nice. But another good one is the Alpha Projects Air Arms that Pyramyd sells. Check Pilk first to see if they sell. It is very similar to the Tau in design, Uses a bolt similar to the Crosman but is PCP. Still you are closer to $1000 once you get fill adapters and things. Aluminum frame and barrel shroud. Ambi grip so either hand shooters like it.

I think mainly they like the color.
HORSEMOVER

Re: Small hands air pistol

Post by HORSEMOVER »

motorcycle_dan wrote:I too run a youth league. The Tau 7 Junior is really nice. But another good one is the Alpha Projects Air Arms that Pyramyd sells. Check Pilk first to see if they sell. It is very similar to the Tau in design, Uses a bolt similar to the Crosman but is PCP. Still you are closer to $1000 once you get fill adapters and things. Aluminum frame and barrel shroud. Ambi grip so either hand shooters like it.

I think mainly they like the color.
A great member here hooked me up with a Tau 7 Jr. I looked at the Alpha and spoke to several that had them and they seemed to be issue prone. It really seemed hit or miss as some loved them and others not so much so who really knows. For anybody considering one USA Shooting has a discount code for purchasing one through Pyramid. I believe it is $65 off. I think the Tau is going to be a great fit for now. I just received it yesterday so looking forward to spending some time with it and my daughter.
motorcycle_dan

Fixing the Tau power

Post by motorcycle_dan »

I agree the Tau Jr. will likely be a big hit. search the forum for Tau and see the section about some problems I recently had. The power adjusting screw backs itself out so needs some kind of thread locker. I choose to use fingernail polish. I set up the Chronograph and had it moving pellets at 380fps. Very happy with results. I also had two other full size Tau 7 and adjusted both them to 420~430fps. Then applied nail polish to the threads to lock it down.
motorcycle_dan

Crosman 2300S issues

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Someone mentioned the custom shop for these pistols. I have one but it is not piercing the CO2 cartridge. You can see a tiny dimple but still holds. What do you suggest? How do I contact this custom shop or recommend another solution.
HORSEMOVER

Re: Fixing the Tau power

Post by HORSEMOVER »

motorcycle_dan wrote:I agree the Tau Jr. will likely be a big hit. search the forum for Tau and see the section about some problems I recently had. The power adjusting screw backs itself out so needs some kind of thread locker. I choose to use fingernail polish. I set up the Chronograph and had it moving pellets at 380fps. Very happy with results. I also had two other full size Tau 7 and adjusted both them to 420~430fps. Then applied nail polish to the threads to lock it down.
I saw that thread. Thanks for the tips. I run my bows through chronos all the time. Never an air pistol. Anything specific I need to do with AP? Distance from chronograph, etc? Seems to me a chrono is a chrono and the most important part is the lighting.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

For a co2 gun you want to be at least 5 ft from the chrono.
The reason is the co2 condensation cloud and whatever else comes out seem to confuse "some" chronos.
HORSEMOVER

Post by HORSEMOVER »

Thanks Gary!
Ted

Post by Ted »

You did not say how old your daughter was. A fwb model 65/80 can usually be had for under $500. Have you considered this?
ghettozoo

14 year old new Pony Cluber wants a pistol for Tetrathlon

Post by ghettozoo »

we are starting late in Pony Club but my daughter is willing to put in the hours to be competitive. Do you have any suggestions as to how she should start preparing for the competitive shooting? The first show/rally is March 28th.

Buy a ( fill in the blank) gun.
Buy targets, this type_____________
Buy ammunition this type_______________

Find a local gun range that has a_______________ to teach her.

Put hay bales and targets in the back yard and practice, practice, practice?
Watch a you tube vidie of _____________ as they show her how to stand and practice.

Thank you for your time and experience in starting a new shooter. Maybe we can cheer for her at the Olympics one day!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Ghettozoo,
Yes, buy an air pistol. What type depends on how much money you want to spend. How much do you intend to spend?
Second, Pilkguns has very nice targets (Edelman) that are reasonably priced. Their vogel pellets are what I use. The less expensive ones will be more than adequate.
Now to the challenging part. Teaching her how to shoot. If there is a gun range locally that has a NRA/USA shooting certified coach then this is a good option. If not, then do you have a friend that has shot competitively that would be able to show her? There are videos out there and materials from this website to get you started. Mar. 28 is not a lot of time . Yes, youtube does have some stuff out there as well as if you do a websearch for pistol shooting fundamentals. The basics are sight alignment/trigger control, grip, stance, follow through. The first two (sight alignment,trigger control) are by far the most important and should be emphasized throughout the learning process.
Stress safety throughout. Have her start by resting gun on a bench/support and watching her sighting technique and trigger control. she should be able to get a round group that is relatrively tight if she is understanding the basics. Then move to standing once she has an understanding of what good sight alignment,trigger control is. Be positive/supportive!
This is a condensed version of a way to get started. If I can be of more help please let me know. What state are you in?
Ted
ghettozoo

Post by ghettozoo »

Thank you for the help. I have ordered the TAU7 compact and it will arrive this week. We live in Greenville, SC and I have called two gun ranges with out much success. The airgun shop was helpful in that they suggested I find a CWP instructor to teach her the basics. I will review videos, continue to look for an instructor, and start her on a firm surface.

Is it Ok to shot cheap pellets for practice and use the match pellets only for competition? I have not bought any pellets and I do not want to harm the gun shooting something incorrect.

Again, thank you so much for your help!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

ghettozoo wrote:Is it Ok to shot cheap pellets for practice and use the match pellets only for competition? I have not bought any pellets and I do not want to harm the gun shooting something incorrect.
You won't hurt the gun, but you may discourage your shooter.
years ago when I first started coaching, I did not know any better and used to run across the highway to the local Walmart when we'd run low on pellets.
After a good friend/coach recommended I test the Wallyworld pellets and match pellets in a gun in a vise, I was stunned.
Match pellets were shooting small one hole groups, and the crappy pellets were silver dollar sized groups.
Imagine this ... my shooters scores rocketed in both practice & matches when we committed to using match pellets.

Especially in an airgun, shoot match pellets in practice & matches ... otherwise your shooter(s) get zero valid feedback as to how they are doing.
Even match pellets are relatively cheap. (And well worth their extra cost)
Ted

Post by Ted »

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. The pellets I referred to though are the 'orange' practice pellets from pilkguns. Though less expensive, these are not in the category of the common pellets you can get at walmart/k-mart, bass proshop etc. They are a quality pellet and shoot almost as good as the match pellets. Pilkguns makes all the vogel pellets at their shop in Tennessee.