State JO Rules Update 2013-2014

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

COBelties

State JO Rules Update 2013-2014

Post by COBelties »

Received the following this weekend thought I would pass them along:

1. All scores must be reported in integer (whole number) form only.
2. The jacket seam rules will not be enforced (7.5.4.5)
3. The boot flexor rule will not be enforced (7.5.2.3)
4. The seat pad of the shooting pants will be enforced. Ensure that this piece of clothing is removed prior to competition (7.5.5)
5. The pointed toes rule will be enforced. All shoes must have rounded edges (7.5.3.5)
“The shoe sole must follow the external curvature of the shoe and
may not extend more than 5.0 mm beyond the external
dimensions of the shoe at any point. Toes or heels may not be
cut square or flat.”
6. The air cylinder rule will be enforced. Any cylinder that is older than 10 years will not be allowed (6.7.5.1)
“It is the athlete’s responsibility that any air or CO2 cylinder is
within manufacturer’s validity date (maximum of ten (10)
years)”

There are also time rule guidelines for hanging (2) targets and hanging (1) target.

My only question is with #5 in the USAS rulebook 7.5.3.5 it states "USAS Clarification: Shooting shoe measurements will not be adopted. Athletes making any USAS teams will be expected to comply with this rule before travel with the team." So why is the JO's enforcing it?

PM me your email and I can send the hanging target timeline guidelines.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Note that you do NOT have to enforce it for your state match ... that is up to you. New Mexico will NOT be enforcing these rules as our qualifiers are in December. (Before Jan 2014 --- see below)

I think part of the reasoning is that in Jan 2014 CMP 3-P air begins enforcing the seat patch and the boot outline rules themselves, so by April 2014 all of the junior shooters firing in 3-P air matches should have these mods done anyway.

My own feeling is that since CMP 3-P air is enforcing those rules this season, shooters/coaches should have already made these mods ... there is a bit of training required to get used to the new boot/rearend "interface" caused by these rules and better to begin figuring it out now than a week before the championship "season" starts in Feb.

I think the 10 year enforcement of Cylinders is going to be the major cost driver

====================================
from CMP Rule Change Summary - V2
Rule 4.6.2, i. Shooting Trousers. The use of seat pads on shooting trousers is now prohibited all over the world because oversized seat pads had become a way to add illegal support to trousers. The 2012-2014 Three-Position Rules included this prohibition, but did not require seat pad removal until 1 January 2014. This deadline remains in the rules. It is important to emphasize that this rule does not require anyone to replace shooting trousers. All that needs to be done is to cut the seat pads off of existing trousers. The CMP Junior Rifle Camps worked with many campers this past summer to remove seat pads and bring them into compliance. This is a simple change that costs nothing and needs to be done before the first competitions in 2014.

Rule 4.6.4, Shooting Shoes. The use of special shooting shoes with square toes or heels has also been banned for similar reasons. The 2012-2014 Three Position Rules incorporated this requirement with a 1 January 2014 deadline. This is another rule that does not require replacing any equipment. Modifying shooting shoes with square toes or heels is easy to do and costs nothing. All that is required is to use a belt sander or grinder to round off the square corners and leave the toes and heels slightly rounded. Many clubs and schools have already made this simple modification. The CMP Junior Rifle Camps worked with several hundred juniors this past summer to bring their shoes into compliance. The CMP will have equipment at its ranges in Anniston and Camp Perry so that shooters who attend 2014 matches there can quickly modify their shoes.
jmkwyo

These still valid?

Post by jmkwyo »

Looks like I will have two juniors heading out to JORC this year in Csprings. Basically they can't have rubber pads on the seat of their pants and their boot soles need to be rounded to match the outline of the boot and not stick out over .5mm? The cylinder rule is unfortunate but should be able to make that work.

The seam rule isn't going to be enforced?

Anything else that the kids need to be aware of that is different than the last few years?

Thanks for your help!
jhmartin

Re: These still valid?

Post by jhmartin »

jmkwyo wrote:The seam rule isn't going to be enforced?
7.5.4.5 The construction of the side panel may not place any seam or seams under the elbow of the support arm in the standing position within a seam-free zone that extends 70 mm above the tip of the elbow and 20 mm below the tip of the elbow. This must be checked with the athlete wearing the jacket fully closed and while holding the rifle in the standing position.
USA Shooting is not enforcing the Jacket seam rule for US competitions. Only competitors that make teams going to international events (world cups, etc) need to comply.

The reason is that many of the jackets today do not comply with this rule. This would require the repair or replacement of most of the jackets.

I took my daughters fairly new, but non-compliant, jacket into a shoe cobbler in Colorado Springs this past week along with a piece of replacement material and she had it repaired in less than a day, and it only cost me $22.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Thanks JH
jhmartin

NEW BOOTS

Post by jhmartin »

As an additional note:
I was involved in the EC at both WAG(required) and the recent SBR selection match(optional).

BY FAR the item that required attention and modification were the boots. (Close second were the buttons)

Even new boots, out of the box, certifying that they were legal did not pass.
(Specifically, some of the new Sauer's have round toes and flat heels, and the new KTs have round heels and flat toes)

The best test you can do with the boots is to take BOTH the toes and heels and "roll" them across a flat surface ... if you feel a flat spot, put them on a grinder and make sure they have (even a slight) continuous curve to them where you do not feel any "flat-spotting". Remember, not just the toes, but the heels as well.

USA Shooting is not enforcing the flex, but may set up the test fixture and give heads up notifications.

We have not heard from Tyler yet whether the National JOs will have required or voluntary Equipment Checks prior to the competitions.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I used a credit card as a straight edge to make sure the boots were round when I ground them