SHOOTING BOOTS FOR KIDS

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

RED RAIDER

SHOOTING BOOTS FOR KIDS

Post by RED RAIDER »

My daughter will begin shooting a couple of USAS & CMP Precision Air Rifle & Smallbore matches in a couple of months.
Our club has set her up with pants & coat.
Where is the best place to pick up some shooting boots for a child? I dont want to drop a loto of $$$ on them due to the fact that her foot is still growing.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Our entry level USAS youth wear skater shoes or chuck taylor converse, just because there are bigger issues going on and they are all growing. The CT really are as close as you can get to direct surface contact in a shoe. My son wore his CT for a year (we had to buy multiple sizes due to growing, and in his JO Qualifier and did fine, but now has moved into a pair of used Anschutz Boots thanks to his coach and some donations.

As a dad I wanted him to have all the equipment, but appreciated him taking the time to grow into specialty equipment. I think it has helped him focus on perfecting fundamentals and less on depending on eq. Just my opinon.

If you dont want to wait, I have had very good luck on the buy/sell here when posting want to buy (wtb) for used equipment. We have fitted most of our junior club with used eq from here. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss youth development further, we've all been there.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

I too start all of our shooters buying a pair of chucks/converse style shoes or a pair of indoor soccer shoes. Something with minimal shock absorbtion and insole. I want them to know if they are rocking on the toes or heals. More connection with the ground.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

I think y'all may have mis-interpreted my question. This is not a new/beginner shooter. She has been coached up for 3 years and is moving up to precision class from sporter class.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

I can already feel the trouble I'm going to get into here. I apologize if there was a misinterpretation, so perhaps you can provide more information, i.e. age, experience, level (scores?).

Our juniors (13 and under) that we move up to precision (most shoot sporter for 1-3 years) we still have in skater/CT shoes for many reasons, SailiAwayAK touched on one of the reasons. This is nothing personal against their skills, or years or potential, it has alot to do with the change they are experiencing making the transition. There are a lot of components and new learning going on with positions, fitting, etc.

Once they work through the jacket and pants we add boots. Its actually interesting because once they are comfortable with all their eq, which is about a 6-12 months process, it becomes a partnership with the boots and they can give us feedback on what they feel internally with balance, sway, etc.

I'm sure there are those out there that add everything at once, and it works for them. If your bent on buying boots, my original suggestion still holds. We buy alot of used eq through here. I also have had good luck buying youth sized equipment (especially pants) through 10pt9, and of course the other online retailers.
pal177

Post by pal177 »

I think it's Champions Shooters Supply (in Ohio) that has the lowest priced boots (under $100). You may want to check with your club to see if they are part of CSS' club discount program. They have some nice price cuts for their name-brand & Freeland brand gear.