3p Air Championships

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Grape712

3p Air Championships

Post by Grape712 »

We attended the 3p air championships in Aniston this year, very well run and generally successful, but as any new idea or venture it needs some tweaking. It was convenient from a travel stand point as we could not have attended all tournaments if they were scattered through out the country, and the benefits to the Jr's was immeasurable. There has been talk that they will be separate next year, bottom line the three sanctioning bodies can not play well together, if this were to happen the Jr's would be the big losers.
If we discuss it's short falls and major benefits here maybe they will get the message to tweak not cancel the idea.
Those in attendance and all concerned also need to contact the three governing bodies.
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

It appears that they will indeed will be separate events next year - The dates for the 2 CMP venues are already posted on their web site. It will make it tough to decide which match to pursue - We have to travel a long ways by air so more than one trip is probably out of the question

Image[/img]
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I guess this is good (???) for folks in the east, but USAS National championships are June 2-9 as well.

We've always had to try and make a determination of which event to hit ... makes it easier for us ... we cannot stay out of town and on the road for a whole month.

So by CMP concentrating on teams and splitting the dates, maybe they'll get down to a single relay and won't have to work as hard next year.
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

Is that date for USAS Nationals official? At the banquet at this years Nationals they were talking about moving to July for 2014 and seemed pretty sure that is what they were going to do.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Oh ... my bad ... I was looking at the 2013 list
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

Disregard the above graphic as the dates and locations are not correct. JO's and CMP Championships will be conducted together at Camp Perry in June. Details to be posted soon.

Selection criteria will be slightly different and a lot more individuals will be invited.
caveman

National Champs 2014

Post by caveman »

rbodono2,

Thanks for letting us know, I thought that this year went great and was concerned that the concept was going to get scraped. I hope the NRA will play nice with the rest too.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

I thought the matches went very well and my compliments to the CMP staff for pulling it off with no hitches. Having all three matches together makes a lot of travel sense for those who have a long distance to travel.

My only two comments (comments not complaints!!) It would be great if someone would explain in detail all the ways to qualify for this match. Maybe since CMP is the host, they could post it on their website. For those of us who are rather new at this and don't have a clubs "tribal knowledge" to rely on, it is easy to miss qualifier requirements. For example, we missed the American Legion Championship simply because I did not know anything about it, when or how to qualify etc. With the 3 matches held together as they were this year, it was a little confusing to a novice for all the ways to qualify.

Second; rbodono2 mentioned this.... hopefully more individuals will have the opportunity to qualify. Since we did not know of the other ways to qualify, my daughter only shot in our state championship qualifier event. She only received an invitation because 2 others declined, however she did very well at the match(s). Hopefully we can take more than one path to qualify this next season and it would be great to see them go back to an automatic qualifier score again.

Thanks again to the CMP staff for organizing a well run event.
caveman

how, wait, what

Post by caveman »

Rmarsh,

Take a look at this http://www.odcmp.com/3P/PostalChampionships.htm , it’s the first thing I’ve seen for next year 2014. It appears that you’ll have two chances to qualify for the CMP regional 1) by the postal or 2) a CMP sanctioned state championship match. I’ve not seen anything from the NRA or USAS so we can only hope they follow step with the CMP it really attracted great competition with all three in one trip and saved us from having to pick which one we would go to (We can’t afford to go to them all!).

As for the American Legion match normally you can order target sets in November (no later than mid January) and have to be mailed in by the end of January. You will have to find a Legion post to sponsor. This match is like the JOs you only get “one bite at the apple”. Last year I had a kid skip a bull and still only missed a second round invitation by one point. It didn’t hit home for her until missing out on the nationals in Colorado Springs.
Grape712

Post by Grape712 »

I am glad to see we are discussing this issue there are some very good points being brought up and we are getting some response from the powers to be.It would be nice to see the timing not be in conflict with 4H nationals.
Another advantage to being together is time off from work for parents, it is easier to get a solid week rather than 3 days here and 4 days there, and then another week later
jhmartin

Re: how, wait, what

Post by jhmartin »

caveman wrote:As for the American Legion match normally you can order target sets in November (no later than mid January) and have to be mailed in by the end of January. You will have to find a Legion post to sponsor. This match is like the JOs you only get “one bite at the apple”. Last year I had a kid skip a bull and still only missed a second round invitation by one point. It didn’t hit home for her until missing out on the nationals in Colorado Springs.
In my opinion the American Legion Match is the premier 3-P air rifle match for juniors. There are only 30 shooters invited to the National Championship (15 sporter & 15 precision) and the American Legion treats them like rock stars. (flys them and a coach/chaperone out & pays their hotel, etc)
Winners receive a $2500 scholarship and are invited to go to the Annual convention.
Go here for info: http://www.legion.org/shooting

A note: You may only be invited to the National Championship once in sporter. In precision you may be invited every other year.
Last edited by jhmartin on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Re: how, wait, what

Post by jhmartin »

deleted
Last edited by jhmartin on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Thanks caveman. Helpfull information! Last season I saw the CMP postal, but did not realize it was a "qualifier" match. I simply did not know about the American Legion postal. The A.L. hosts our state championship 3P air match & our 4-H leader is a Legion member. Should be no problem to get sponsored now that I know what to do.

The TT community has been great at answering my questions, sometimes I just don't know to ask!
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Good info Joel. I will be seeing the Legion member who runs our state championship match later today. I will get the ball rolling with him. Maybe E. can qualify for next year.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

rmarsh wrote:Maybe E. can qualify for next year.
Absolutely no doubt!
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

rbdono2 wrote:Disregard the above graphic as the dates and locations are not correct. JO's and CMP Championships will be conducted together at Camp Perry in June. Details to be posted soon.

Selection criteria will be slightly different and a lot more individuals will be invited.
The schedule was copied from the CMP web site - didn't mean to post incorrect information - figured that web site was reliable. Hopefully you can give us better information soon.
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

Oh, I know where you got it from. I wasn't trying to suggest you made it up. I just wanted to let everyone know that it has changed and that image has been removed.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

rbdono2 wrote:Disregard the above graphic as the dates and locations are not correct. JO's and CMP Championships will be conducted together at Camp Perry in June. Details to be posted soon.

Do we have an estimation for when this information will be available?
Grape712

Post by Grape712 »

There are dates for 3p air championships posted on the cmp web site are these accurate
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

The new information has been posted. You can find it by going to http://www.thecmp.org/3P/NationalChampionship.htm