3p Air Championships

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

rbdono2, Thanks for the info. It is very good the way everything is explained for qualification. I see that there is an automatic qualifier score again, and more room for individuals!! Thanks for listening to all the comments!

I do have one question that I will ask here since there may be others with the same question. The arrow from the postal match box goes to the regional qualifier box. I take that to mean that the postal qualifies a shooter to go to a regional match, then that is where they would qualify for the national championship match?? Or... If they shoot an automatic qualifier score in the postal, do they qualify without going to a regional match?

Thanks again, I think a lot of shooters (and parents) will be happy with the changes. It would have been nice to have NRA at the same time / place again, but as the song says "two out of three ain't bad".
Grape712

Post by Grape712 »

Are these dates final or still open for discussion. The nice thing about this match is the collegiate coaches being there and speaking with perspective athletes, I know of at least two contacts with promise that were made in Aniston, but with these dates no such contact can be made because it is before July 1st between Jr and sr years.moving one week later doesn't appear to conflict with current national match schedule
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

It would appear that these 3P championships are scheduled the exact same week as USA Nationals - Is that correct?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

It has long been my contention that a junior in high school with hopes of shooting NCAA rifle should be focused on international style shooting, 40/60 shot AIR AND 3P smallbore, rather than the CMP 3-P air program.
And yes, I realize that this may mean stepping back or away from a high school team ... especially if they have the means to practice the smallbore. If they don't have the smallbore opportunity, only then should they keep pressing hard on 3-P air.

Not that the CMP program is bad, it's just that it is NOT focused properly in the precision airgun event. Collegiate coaches want to see what the shooters can do in a long standing series ... ideally 60 shots. I'd personally like to see CMP Air matches for the precision guns go to a 60 shot International format as they shoot in the AMU championships.

While the CMP 3-P Air National Junior "Olympics" uses the word, it really is just a courtesy of USA Shooting to allow them to use that word. It turns out to be pretty obvious that there was not much coordination between the folks planning the USAS Nationals and the 3-P "JOs".
Of course, USAS has had to scramble and push dates around as well since ISSF has set their dates for this World Championship year of the quad.

The June dates of the "JOs" is a big issue and collegiate coaches are indeed required to wait to make a contact, but remember the shooter can always go introduce themselves before July. Getting polite "facetime" is acceptable, and the coaches know very well what they can and cannot discuss.

If they want to talk more ...I'd guess, most of the collegiate coaches would be at the USAS Nationals and that would be the match to attend & shoot. ... CMP has always said shooters must make choices and set priorities ... so be it.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

Here is my thing on wanting to shoot for a university. Just my opinion. If a shooter has a program in mind, the shooter needs to being the contact. They can do that during their Junior year. Why wait for a school to solicit? It's nice that they make a showing at championships, but it is just face time and a chance to see the behavior of a shooter on the line. If a shooter is wanting to go somewhere their work needs to start earlier.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

SailAwayAK wrote:Here is my thing on wanting to shoot for a university. Just my opinion. If a shooter has a program in mind, the shooter needs to being the contact. They can do that during their Junior year. Why wait for a school to solicit? It's nice that they make a showing at championships, but it is just face time and a chance to see the behavior of a shooter on the line. If a shooter is wanting to go somewhere their work needs to start earlier.
Absolutely -- 100%. The SHOOTER must be proactive. Almost all of the collegiate sites have a "New Recruit Survey" or something like that. They should also not be shy and as a minimum go up and introduce themselves to the coach.
My girls were introducing themselves to collegiate coaches when they were still freshmen in HS, saying "Hi!" at matches, and generally letting the coaches know who they were and that they were interested in shooting in college.
Grape712

making choices

Post by Grape712 »

true the athlete has to be proactive and make hard choices and each match has to be chosen based on the advantages of being there vs winning a lower profile match unfortantely this year it may be at the expense of the 4H nationals