Anschutz 1907 or 2007

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Tothemark

Anschutz 1907 or 2007

Post by Tothemark »

I am buying my daughter a new rifle and trying to understand the major difference between a model 1907 vs 2007. Do they both have the 54 series action? She has been shooting a 1903 but it is borrowed and wanted to upgrade her from the 64 action. The price difference between the 1907 and the 2007 is about $150 but the 2007 is about a pound heavier. Either one will have the 7020 sights.
Thank you,
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The 2007 and the 1907 both have the same bolt and trigger, and generally the same 26in barrel. Normal operation is exactly the same between the two. The differences aree in the action, and how the barrel is fitted into the action.

The 1907 is the current incarnation of the Match 54; it's a round action with two bedding bolts in-line with the barrel. The barrel is a press-fit into the action, and secured with two pins.

The 2007 has a square-section action that is longer and wider than the Match 54, which counts for the extra weight. There are four bedding bolts, in the corners. The front of the receiver is split on the LHS, and the barrel is clamped in place.

Tim
J

Difference

Post by J »

The main difference faced is for the future, if you ever want to change the stock to one of the metal ones. The two rifles require different stocks that do not interchange, except for the Keppeler stocks which can fit either, with a different adapter plate. Otherwise, probably no detectable difference.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Holw old/big/tall is your daughter.

I love the 54 actions in a 1912 stock for almost all my youngsters.
1914 stock is great too
ZD

Post by ZD »

I think the main difference in the two rifles is the ease of changing barrels. My understanding is that placing a new barrel in a 20 series action requires a simple fitting, while replacing a barrel in a 19 series or round action is much more labor intensive, as it will not accept a after market barrel simply after you knock out the barrel. Good gunsmithing work is required, but I have seen round action rifles with replaced barrels. Personally, I use a 1907, I saw no need to spend money on the 20 series when i got it. You might consider getting a 20 series rifle with a short barrel, they balance very well. Having said that my 1907 in the precise stock balances well, not front heavy like with older stocks. Just some food for thought, others will know more about barrel swapping.
J

Barrel Swaps etc.

Post by J »

Many who have used and worked on these rifles recommend against swapping the original barrel unless it is ruined or a mismatch to the receiver from the beginning and no longer returnable. It is very hard to find a clearly better barrel. Even when a "better" barrel is used, about a fifth or so of the time, the combination with the receiver and stock does not work well and the new barrel needs to be scrapped or used for another gun.

Some prefer a shorter barrel for better accuracy at 50M with a front extension for the front sight, and if that is not sufficient, counterboring the last part of the bore, barrel tuners, or some combination of those options.

Keppeler, in his website, discusses the stock-related issues fairly objectively. He does not go into the aspect of his stocks that allows balance weights at the pistol grip or rear section. This both corrects balance issues, especially if a heavy barrel rifle is used, and also provides additional stock tuning for vibration patterns if needed.