SHOOTING RECORDS BOARD

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

oldsailor64

SHOOTING RECORDS BOARD

Post by oldsailor64 »

Our school where my NJROTC unit is located has several record boards displayed. Track, wrestlling etc.....

I think such a board displayed in my range might be motivational for my team members to strive for improvement. The obvious records which could be displayed could be individual aggregrate scores in 3X10, 3X20, high prone standing and kneeling etc....

I have started to do a little research on commercially available record boards and they are quite expensive.

Does anyone have a record board for your teams? If so, what records do you have displayed? Any ideas on a source or what you did to display these records?
blg

Post by blg »

For our 4-H club, we have a board that has the kids name, each position and their total score. After each match, they get to change their score if it improved. They really enjoy it and it helps me keep track of their scores. You could always add a record line to the top and move the top shooter to there as it changes.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

I have seen many different versions. All home-made. My daughters school program hangs all their targets over 100p, 95+s, 95+k up on the walls in the team room. My program each shooter hangs their top targets in each position. I also have the over all score board. The board is set to different score levels in 10 point increments. I have a photo of each shooter and as their score progresses the photo moves up the board. Once shooters attain a certain score in match, they take a paint marker and sign an over head beam in the range saved only for that purpose. That beam has the signatures of shooters for the last 50 years.
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

I'v been working on a method for the last couple of years. After shooting a few nights to work on fundamentals, shooters are listed by high score on the next night. No allowances for age or time in the program. The NEXT time, if their score improves, they are listed by PERCENTAGE improvement, with the highest PERCENTAGE moving to the top. If no improvement they are bumped down the list until they do improve. I compute percentage improvement as [(new score minus old score) divided by old score]. This is actually biased towards the newer or lower scoring kids, if you raise a 150 by 5 points it's a higher PERCENTAGE than if you raise a 250 by 5 points. (155-150)/150=5/150=.0333= 3.3% VS (255-250)/5=.0200=2%. This way the younger kids get to the top easier than the higher scoring ones. Scores and improvement are updated every week so the order is always (usually) changing, each shooter has their own strip to update. Velcro would be easier, I use push pins to arrange the strips on a cork board.

Last year one of the better shooters posted a really high (for him) score the first night they shot for record, and it took him weeks to better that, consequently he moved down further night after night. We had a round of applause when he finally moved up, not much percentagewise but a higher score none the less. And he took his inertia with good humor, he was among the top 3 or 4 scorewise every week anyway.

The "board" was usually the first thing the kids checked when they came to shoot, especially the newer and younger ones.