Daisy 5899

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

durant7

Daisy 5899

Post by durant7 »

Seems we are missing a diopter and the Daisy parts list would suggest you need to buy the entire $16 sight to get a diopter. Are the current 5899 acceptable? I have read here and there that the current quality is not high. We are a very young group and...well...a 499 sight would work but long term, we all have dreams of getting better.

I guess I could buy the $35 5996 but it is unclear if this Gamo copy is worth twice the price of a 5899.

Just asking before I order.
Haireacane

Daisy Sight

Post by Haireacane »

I will be glad to give you a diopter for the Dasiy sight at no charge. I coach a 4-H BB rifle team in Georgia and I have quite a few of the broken Dasiy sights. You can upgrade the sight as long as you don't modify the gun for it to fit. We are shooting at the Dasiy National's in Arkansas next month and you have to use the Daisy rear sight and the Dasiy BB's. If you'll post your mailing address I'll get it in the mail, in fact I'll send you several.

Good Luck,
David Haire
Tift County, Georgia 4-H Shooting Sports
durant7

Post by durant7 »

PM sent.

Thanks for your help.

JD
Haireacane

Daisy Sights

Post by Haireacane »

I got you PM, the apertures will be in the mail today. I did not know they were for Sporter Air Rifles. I would seriously consider upgrading to the Gamo style sight. The new ones are made in China and the quality is hit and miss but they are an improvement.

David
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Haireacane:

I would agree these entry level 5889 sights are marginal. All the more reason I did not want to buy a "whole sight" just to get the aperture. I appreciate your willingness to share.

My kids are young and will benefit more from "complete" functioning rifles than "competitive" rifles. If we get to that point, I am sure parents will step up and purchase some less ratty gear. For now, I am just trying to get 6 guns capable of shooting 75 shots on the initial fill. We are getting there. Used gear is more work than I thought but I think we're going to get there.

Your support is most appreciated. Are the current Daisy 5996 "Avanti sights" @ $35 good or do I have to find earlier production "Gamo" sights? I think this has been discussed but I could not find the topic. We're not there yet but I can see with one kids we could be there soon.

Thanks!

JD in NH
Haireacane

Gamo Sights

Post by Haireacane »

Finally got the apertures in the mail to you yesterday, I sent four.

I have 11 of the XS/40, T-200 Sporter air rifles with 4 having the Gamo Spanish made sights and the rest have the Chinese made copies. I prefer the Gamos but we've had good luck with the Chinese copies. If you buy them from Daisy and they are not right when you get them they will replace them. Are the Gamo's worth the difference, I think they go for $80 now, I don't think so especially with a new club. If you order the Chinese copies really work with your kids on sight adjustment to make sure they are working correctly.

David
durant7

apertures arrived

Post by durant7 »

DH:

They arrived and are perfect. Thanks so much, you are a hero!

JD
Haireacane

Post by Haireacane »

Glad to help. Good luck with your program.

David