888 and co2 cylinders

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

durant7

888 and co2 cylinders

Post by durant7 »

Three quick questions. I did a search on co2 on this forum and did not find the answers.

One has a blown burst valve. I can buy a new one and replace DIY? or do I have to send it back to Daisy? No set screws or anything.

One leaks out of the brass pin valve. Give a nice fill and is slowly leaks out. Send it to Daisy? DIY?

I take a discharged cylinder out of a just fired (used) gun, attempt to fill but I have leakage on the adapter attached to the cylinder...as if the oring is not working. Put on a brand new oring....no leaks. What is the proper care and feeding of orings? I don't want to have to put on a new on each time I want to fill it.

Thanks!
kilowhiskey

888/887 CO2 cylinder questions

Post by kilowhiskey »

When in doubt, call Daisy Customer Service 800-713-2479. They are friendly, knowledgeable, and repair parts are priced with understanding their customer base is financially strapped parents.

Sticky valves are almost always cured with a drop of 30 weight motor oil. Sometimes there is a bit of dirt in seal, working it a little bit under low pressure can blow it out.

As far as O-ring care, hand start cylinder and thread most of way to ensure not pinching O-ring against edge of die-cast receiver. The smallest amount of the aforementioned 30 weight oil smeared on the Daisy O-rings can help keep things from sticking. O-rings stocked at Home Depot are not made from oil resistant material and swell; they're good for a match in an emergency, but won't last. Keeping a bag of o-rings in your range bag will make the one on the rifle last longer, and will help you make friends with other coaches/competitors. When you hear the hissing sound on the line, just hand them the o-ring, and you have a friend.

I've no experience with blown burst disc, although our club has a bag of them purchased years ago. I'm sure somebody like Mr. Martin from warmer climates will chime in.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sorry ... I felt my ears itching .... I just finished working the Women's Rifle at the JOs in Colorado Springs .... what a great group of gals this year ... especially the J3 performances in BOTH air and smallbore.

On the burst disks ... they are meant to be replaceable ... any paintball store should have these ... or even Walmart may. They are a standard size for CO2 cylinders .. especially with those of the CO2 paintball guns.

Easy to replace ... unscrew the bad one & screw in the new.

Usually if one blows it is because a cylinder was overfilled in a cool environment and then placed in a car or whatever and taken to a match ... having one light off in the backseat is an experience!
Make sure you fill BY WEIGHT ... I consider a cylinder fully filled at 475 grams ... above that and you may pop a burst disk. In the winter I can go to maybe 480, but really no more.

An empty cylinder is about 404 grams or so ... the new ones maybe 410.
I usually don't fill anything above 465 as even that is enough to get thru a full 3x20 and lots of sighters.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

As a courtesy to those who might read this I thought I would give an update.

Although spotty inventory supply, new co2 rings and a burst valve was found at typical outlets. My take, have both of these in the "inventory kit" as they might not be on the shelf when you need them. I would have to say the torque required to put in a new burst valve was much higher than I expected. It took a few tries.

o-Ring lube. A avid adult air shooter put some magic lube on our o-rings and now they go in and out and are not swollen with co2 after use. We need to get our own supply. I was not aware such a product existed. If you have a $1,800 Pardini I guess you do!

I called Daisy and they sent me a schematic and a price list to order the missing parts. I never had to get into how to fix the co2 cylinders as the team here got me on my way.

Thanks all! A great community helping coaches help kids here!!